Share Button added to the Toolbar!

MVP

dsadas.png

fdsfds.png

Microsoft Edge Version 82.0.431.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

13 Replies
This was a much needed feature. Glad to see it is added now, even though it was not in the list of the team's Top Feedback item to be addressed in February...

Yeah it's great, I wish now that the Share button can be pinned in the toolbar, we could remove it from the ellipsis menu, doesn't need to be on 2 locations at the same time

fsdfs.png

Hurray!

@HotCakeX  Really?  Can't say I'd agree.  Is there some issue with a button existing on a toolbar and a menu?  I think that's quite often the case.  Would you also want the Favorites, Collections and Feedback items removed from the menu?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

@Graymatter 

@Graymatter wrote:

@HotCakeX  Really?  Can't say I'd agree.  Is there some issue with a button existing on a toolbar and a menu?  I think that's quite often the case.  Would you also want the Favorites, Collections and Feedback items removed from the menu?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

No you understood me correctly, I think a better design would be to only have a specific option/button only in one place at a time.

there is no reason to duplicate them, it will help keep the UI clean and more space for other things.

so like when you have Collections on the toolbar, it will be removed from the ellipsis menu, when you remove it from toolbar, it will come back to the ellipsis menu again. like that.

If duplication is the intention then make it consistent, duplicate Everything in the Edge UI.

right? so either all in or all out. not like how it is now which is inconsistent and redundant.

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

If duplication is the intention then make it consistent, duplicate Everything in the Edge UI.

right? so either all in or all out. not like how it is now which is inconsistent and redundant.

Which toolbar and menu items are you finding are you currently finding inconsistent and redundant?

fdfs.png

So the red marks are currently redundant items, duplicates.

the green marks are potential redundant items, since lots of users asked they want to see Downloads and History buttons on the toolbar, like Edge classic, Microsoft will most likely implement it some times in the future, they will create more redundant items in the Edge UI.

more options are on the way, Cortana integration for example. I think they should get rid of the duplicates, make them only be in one place in the UI and keep things simple and clutter-free.

when something is visible on the toolbar, by user's choice, then it doesn't make sense to have the same thing in the ellipsis menu.

Edge UI should be smarter and more responsive than that.

@HotCakeX 

I see.  However, I cannot recall any software product that I've used/seen that, when offering the option to add items to a toolbar, those same items are removed from a menu; and visa-versa.  That is, toggling an item to appear on a menu or toolbar, but not on both at the same time.

I imagine there might be products somewhere that may do this, but have you ever seen this functionality in any Microsoft product?

I believe such functionality would be potentially confusing to some users... "Where did that menu item go?  It's there on my other computer!"...  and potentially create an inconsistency in the user interface as users move from one device to another.

So perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree.  :smile:

@Graymatter 

Spoiler

@Graymatter wrote:

@HotCakeX 

I see.  However, I cannot recall any software product that I've used/seen that, when offering the option to add items to a toolbar, those same items are removed from a menu; and visa-versa.  That is, toggling an item to appear on a menu or toolbar, but not on both at the same time.

I imagine there might be products somewhere that may do this, but have you ever seen this functionality in any Microsoft product?

I believe such functionality would be potentially confusing to some users... "Where did that menu item go?  It's there on my other computer!"...  and potentially create an inconsistency in the user interface as users move from one device to another.

So perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree.  :smile:

If you want to talk about history then that's not a good idea. because who would have thought Microsoft let go their EdgeHTML engine and use Google's Chromium in their browser.

who would have thought Microsoft contribute to open source community, bring their products to the Linux.

https://github.com/MicrosoftEdge/MSEdge#microsoft-edge--open-source-a-new-direction-for-microsoft

life is full of surprises, don't worry about what was before, think about what is possible and can happen now and in the future.

about inconsistency, there won't be any and it won't cause confusion for the user. these settings should be synced under "Settings sync" in here: edge://settings/profiles/sync

the experience will be the same across users' devices.

I've seen a lot of products and UIs, I don't remember all of them at the moment but a responsive UI is definitely nothing new, specially in 2020.

Oh nice :)

@HotCakeX I saw it there too. Well done. So pleased this button has moved back to it's correct home - at least during the change-over period between old and new Edge.  I agree it would be great to have options to move things around at a later stage.

My only remaining concern before the switchover arrives via Windows Update is the really odd way that 'Chrome' Edge manages downloads compared with the lovely buttons and features of classic Edge - but will continue comment on that discussion separately!

The downloads and history buttons should make their way up to the toolbar too in the future and eventually put all the buttons under 1 hub like in classic Edge or something like that :)