SOLVED

Set Aside Tab Feature | Collection Added to Edge insider Dev and Canary

MVP
  • Now you can Set your Tabs Aside Quickly and reopen them later.
  • these tab groups Can get Synced with other devices that have Edge browser installed (Only desktops for now) so you can also resume your work from another computer.
  • The tab groups that are set Aside are non-volatile, meaning they are not automatically deleted once you reopen them (unlike Edge legacy's behavior)
  • you can give custom names to the tab groups you set Aside.

Here is a 1080p 60FPS video to show you how easily it's done:

https://streamable.com/uitri

50 Replies

Without preserving the navigation history in each of the saved tabs, this feature is still useless to me.

@BMurri exactly. I don't understand why many keep saying collections is replacement for set tabs aside feature. It simply is no where near the set tabs aside feature.

@Deleted 

Personally, I LOVE this idea for Collections so much that I now use it every day and have been since @HotCakeX first posted this Post.  I think it is 10(TEN) times better than "Set Aside Tabs" ever was!  Every morning I open 7 Tabs for 7 different websites that I work in.  With Set Aside tabs I would have to hit the "button" to set those tabs aside again after working in those tabs each and every time or I'd have to open each tab separately fresh all over again.  With the Collection feature they are Always there and no need to place them in a Collection after every time I worked on those sites....  Open Collections, Open that collection, click Open ALL and poof they are all opened in a new window.  When done, just close that window/new opened browser instants and all is done.  No need to resave or anything else. You can NOT get any simpler than this.   And every time I open them they are right where I left off the last time in them....  It's not rocket science.....

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile Thanks for that delightful feedback! We're so glad to hear that you're enjoying it! 

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Dennis5mileThat's a different usage scenario, because collections is (at its core) a different feature. What works perfectly for you might not be optimal for everyone. See, the way I use set aside tabs is basically for stuff I ran out of time to look over and/or address. So when I reload tabs, they get used once, and I close them. I don't need to manually go back in and delete them. Until they give me an option to make them volatile, they're barely better than bookmarks for me.

@HotCakeXGive it the option to set an easily accesible button like in the classic Edge and the capability of storing the navegation history of the tab like before and will be substitute untill that I found it quite worthless, not easy to found for new users increase considerably the amount of clicks to access the feature and doesn't even do the same, for those who might not know what I mean with navegation history of the tab, in the classic Edge you can restore a tab from Set Aside Tabs and you can use the back button to go where you where before, with collections that is lost, so is not very different of storing them in favorites, 

Same, I hope one day they reenable a similar feature, at least in settings of collections (and setting a button for easily setting them aside)
You said all the feature needs to implements in a very few words bravo, you've earned a like

I feel like were getting nowhere with the effort to have this added. Anyone have any new information on this?

@xunderworldx They seem to be focusing all their efforts on improving collections and trying to satisfy STA needs with it. They also have bigger fish to fry and this is one of the lower priorities.

Everyone, please continue to make noise so we can get this feature back... I forgot even about the history that also gets saved and set aside.... Someone else made an add-on for this. Here is a link for it:

https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/tabs-aside/kmnblllmalkiapkfknnlpobmjjdnlhnd?hl=en-...