SOLVED

Set Aside Tab Feature | Collection Added to Edge insider Dev and Canary

MVP
  • Now you can Set your Tabs Aside Quickly and reopen them later.
  • these tab groups Can get Synced with other devices that have Edge browser installed (Only desktops for now) so you can also resume your work from another computer.
  • The tab groups that are set Aside are non-volatile, meaning they are not automatically deleted once you reopen them (unlike Edge legacy's behavior)
  • you can give custom names to the tab groups you set Aside.

Here is a 1080p 60FPS video to show you how easily it's done:

https://streamable.com/uitri

50 Replies
Good point, collections normally only save links to contents but I think Edge team can manage to save navigation history into the collections that are generated by saving open tabs.

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX Thanks for getting the news out and kicking off this discussion. :) I'm thrilled to let you all know ( @PNvmkpk @YgorCortes @seancorfield @SOI_7 )  that this feature has now been fully released to our Canary and Dev channels! Here's our official announcement from our What's New page:

"Save multiple tabs to Collections

I totally agree. the single button to set aside all the open tabs was one of the best features in Edge. I browse a lot for business and setting aside all the tabs related to one search and starting a new session for another search and recall the previous search when needed was a matter of two clicks - simple.  Now I have all the tabs set aside in months, grouped in "groups" with no names so I have to open each single group, give it a name in order to recognise what is inside the anonimous folder icon. Time consuming!! @SOI_7 

when will this feature be available? If I right click on a tab I do not have any option like "add to collection" or similar. Only save to Favourite. @Deleted 

@Mostropovich 

@Mostropovich wrote:

when will this feature be available? If I right click on a tab I do not have any option like "add to collection" or similar. Only save to Favourite. 

It's currently on available in Canary and Dev channels. it will soon be available on other channels as well, first Beta and lastly Stable channel.

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download

@Mostropovich 

Spoiler

@Mostropovich wrote:

I totally agree. the single button to set aside all the open tabs was one of the best features in Edge. I browse a lot for business and setting aside all the tabs related to one search and starting a new session for another search and recall the previous search when needed was a matter of two clicks - simple.  Now I have all the tabs set aside in months, grouped in "groups" with no names so I have to open each single group, give it a name in order to recognise what is inside the anonimous folder icon. Time consuming!!

Groups can be given names in Edge:

fdsfds.png

you can activate it here: edge://flags/#tab-groups

also when you set all tabs aside in a Collection, it automatically gives them a name but you can change them if you want but it's not necessary.

@HotCakeX My tab groups are enabled, but haven't been working for at least a month and I forgot they were there. Weird.

They are not automatic yet, they never were automatic on Edge, I don't think Edge team even decided to work on it yet, I think they only pushed whatever changes Chromium had for the flag to Edge..maybe waiting for vertical tabs to be created first
Hi,
I cannot follow the link, neither I have the option "hello Group xx" or similar. I have only "add all tabs to Favourite" (obviously I have the usual choices as well, in the menu, when click on the star icon).
If the option of adding to groups where available, I think that would for me. What I need, due to the nature of my browsing for business, is the ability to save all the tabs I want in the simplest way possible, remain in the browser and open another number of tables (searches) and save them as well, and so on. So the idea of having groups that I can name is good for me; It will be good when and if will become available as, at the moment, I do not have it.
Thanks for your reply.

@Mostropovich 

Spoiler

@Mostropovich wrote:
Hi,
I cannot follow the link, neither I have the option "hello Group xx" or similar. I have only "add all tabs to Favourite" (obviously I have the usual choices as well, in the menu, when click on the star icon).
If the option of adding to groups where available, I think that would for me. What I need, due to the nature of my browsing for business, is the ability to save all the tabs I want in the simplest way possible, remain in the browser and open another number of tables (searches) and save them as well, and so on. So the idea of having groups that I can name is good for me; It will be good when and if will become available as, at the moment, I do not have it.
Thanks for your reply.

Hello group xx is the name I gave to it as an example, it's not a static thing.

another thing is that you have to be on Dev or Canary channels.

lastly, you need to enable Tab groups, then right-click on a tab and select add to group.

Go to: edge://flags/

search for "tab groups", enable it, restart Edge.

I really don't like how collections work compared to "set these tabs aside" it was was simpler to use that way and whatever you do you can save quickly.. Now if you close out of tabs you no longer need you have to save the collection again.

There will hopefully be a separate button added for it as many users asked for it too but to be honest it's very simple to right-click on a tab and select "add all tabs to collection". it's just 2 clicks.

Yes, the "Add tabs to collection" function is super quick in the current state, but it's the resume that is a bit clunky. If I were the Edge team, I'd at least make the "Open all" button always visible in the Collections menu  so that even the resume is a 2 clicks action

@SOI_7 @xunderworldx Thanks for sharing that idea for Collections functionality. I chatted with the team, and they asked that you submit this through the in-browser feedback (if you haven't yet) so that they can keep track of it.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

So I tested collections on the beta version, and I can't add all tabs to a collection at once. You have to do one page at a time, that is ridiculous. Also it wont remember that you have closed out of some tabs and added new ones unless you add yet again another collection. They really really need to bring back the "set these tabs aside". I sent feedback, but if everyone can send the same feedback perhaps they will listen.@fawkes@Deleted 

@xunderworldx Thanks for sending in that feedback.

The "add all tabs" feature was added to Collections fairly recently, so it's currently working its way up through Canary and Dev. However, if all goes smoothly, it's expected to be coming to Beta in the near future. In the meantime, feel free to give it a try on one of the earlier preview builds and let us know what you think of it so far! And if you'd like to join the formal discussion about bringing back the legacy "set tabs aside" functionality, you can comment in this thread too.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Agreed. Needs a single button for set-aside, needs to have an option for volatile, and needs to retain nav history (not quite as important for me but still nice). Until then, it's just a stopgap.

@Alexvrb It also needs to open faster. I know this isn't going to be as easy as in the old edge, because it was using windows processes to boost performance and keep everything at 60fps, like opening STA and scrolling. Regardless, it should open faster, maybe by lessening the data stored in collections.

@Deleted 

this step takes too long and its useless. please add "set tabs aside" feature like edge legacy.

I hate this stupid collection and I'm force to return to edge legacy. collection is useless