SOLVED

Set Aside Tab Feature | Collection Added to Edge insider Dev and Canary

MVP
  • Now you can Set your Tabs Aside Quickly and reopen them later.
  • these tab groups Can get Synced with other devices that have Edge browser installed (Only desktops for now) so you can also resume your work from another computer.
  • The tab groups that are set Aside are non-volatile, meaning they are not automatically deleted once you reopen them (unlike Edge legacy's behavior)
  • you can give custom names to the tab groups you set Aside.

Here is a 1080p 60FPS video to show you how easily it's done:

https://streamable.com/uitri

50 Replies
I'm currently interested in the set aside feature for tabs I want to keep active in the background but do not wish to clutter my tab view. Is there currently a way to keep them active like this? Thanks.
Hi, you can put your tabs in a group and then move that group to another window then minimize that window, OR you can use Windows 10 multiple desktop feature to put them on another desktop which is a nice and easier to use feature

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ae/help/4028538/windows-10-multiple-desktops
https://community.windows.com/en-us/stories/virtual-desktop-windows-10
This is a CFR. Looks promising. Hope it makes way to other insiders soon.

@HotCakeX This is good to see -- thank you! I don't have that feature available yet (although I'm on the latest Canary) but I'm looking forward to it rolling out. Seems like a good time to enable the Collections button on the toolbar again :)

@seancorfield @Rohit Yadav Thanks, yes I believe soon it will be rolled out to a bigger test group in Canary channel

@HotCakeX It still seems a bit too time consuming, like there should be a button next to the collections button to make life easier.

Looking good. Keen to give it a go. Having them as non-ephemeral will be great.

Having them as "continually updating" would be cool too. If you close or open a tab, it updates the "set aside group".
This one is available on edge dev since last week.

@hussain5416 

@hussain5416 wrote:
This one is available on edge dev since last week.

do you have it on Dev channel?

@cjc2112 

@cjc2112 wrote:

@HotCakeX It still seems a bit too time consuming, like there should be a button next to the collections button to make life easier.

I was intentionally working x3 times slow in video for demonstration purposes ;)

they could add a separate button at the bottom of the Collections button, like that button appears when you hover over Collections button ( to save space ) and that button will add all open tabs to a Collection.

but you still need to right-click on each collection to open all of them. there are too many options to choose from.

"open all" , "open all in new window" , "open all in a new inPrivate window" , "delete collection" etc.

@andrewvinci 

@andrewvinci wrote:
Looking good. Keen to give it a go. Having them as non-ephemeral will be great.

Having them as "continually updating" would be cool too. If you close or open a tab, it updates the "set aside group".

I like this idea and find it useful too, for example I load up my tab group and start browsing and opening/closing websites, next time that I want to close Edge I don't have to add them again to that same collection, because the tabs will automatically be saved in the collection that I opened first. of course no duplicates should be there..

@HotCakeX 
A bit clunky but better than nothing. I think the process should be automated somehow, a single click should do everything like in the old Edge

Well sure yeah, this is not final, just the beginning, i guess :)

I noticed the scope of this experiment is expanded now in Version 82.0.458.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), you can update your browser and see if you have it now

@HotCakeX I seem to have it on all my machines now, on both Canary and Dev builds, and it's working well enough to satisfy me, as a replacement for Set Aside Tabs.

There are definitely some improvements possible -- adding it to the right-click menu on the non-tab area of the toolbar, for example, which already repeats add all tabs to favorites, even tho' the wording differs (why?); adding a shortcut key for it; showing tab information on hover for tabs in the collection (not just the collection name!); adding the time to the auto-generated name for the collection (since I'm going to be setting aside multiple tab sets during the day); adding a setting so the Collections pane is open on each new window created (and on a browser restart).

I haven't used Collections up until now because I just didn't find them useful but just adding this one feature (SAT) is likely to make them a core part of my browser workflow. I wouldn't have expected that.

Yes I also feel like it should be made easier to spot for people new to the browser, like a dedicated button and added to here as You said

gfgg.png

There should at least be an option to make it volatile, but this is already some AMAZING news! I really hope Microsoft implements the other features asked from people here in this thread (an button, a shortcut and a way for them to be continuously updated.)
Agreed, great suggestions too :)

@HotCakeX This is not a replacement for 'Set Tabs Aside' feature because you lost the navigation history of the tabs and cannot go back to the previous page. A favorites folder will do just the same.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX Thanks for getting the news out and kicking off this discussion. :) I'm thrilled to let you all know ( @PNvmkpk @YgorCortes @seancorfield @SOI_7 )  that this feature has now been fully released to our Canary and Dev channels! Here's our official announcement from our What's New page:

"Save multiple tabs to Collections

View solution in original post