search suggestions aren't dark on dark NTP

Steel Contributor

The search suggestions on the dark NTP aren't dark...screenshot from 79.0.294.1  , please fix!darkntpsearch.png

6 Replies
honestly they should get rid of that search bar. before it used to be a fakebox but now it's even more useless.
I think they can improve the NTP search by

1. change the NTP search engine and theme based on the user's search engine preference.
so when we choose Bing as our default search engine, the NTP will load Bing theme, when we have Google or DuckDuckgo as our default search engine, the NTP search engine and theme will change accordingly.

2. when opening a new tab page, the type cursor focus is on the Omnibox, I think it would be better if the focus was on the search bar in the middle of the NTP, but for this step to be pleasant for everyone, doing the step 1 is necessary.
The NTP search box used to be a fakebox for the omnibox. Now it's just Bing. Stupid Bing. I currently have Bing set as my search engine for the omnibox but I can do "google" and then space to search Google which I actually do most of the time (but I want those reward points :P).

I don't think no. 2 is a good idea personally. I like the omnibox because I can search through tabs, favorites and more.

@pneenkoalabear I feel hesitant searching in the fakebox because I feel its tracking me. It might be because in explorer, it showed your history if you used the fakebox, but even though it doesn't in edge, I still feel uncomfortable using it. However, I don't want it taken away. I think it looks good and know some people like it, and besides, its useful in touchscreen mode because its bigger and easier to access(for some reason, I have no problem using it in touchscreen mode).

btw what I meant by fakebox is that it's not a real omnibox. It just redirects you to the omnibox which is the address box.

what we have now on the NTP is just a bing search bar.

I think it looks good too but I'd rather it be an omnibox/fakebox

I think the reason why Microsoft made the change is because they want a search bar for Bing regardless of what we've set for the omnibox.

I actually wrote this reply differently because I think by "explorer" you were referring to Internet Explorer instead of File Explorer
If you only need to use Bing engine for rewards then it would be better if you set the top omnibox search engine to Google (for normal searches) and use the NTP search bar just for Bing rewards ;)