SOLVED

search/favorite bar broken? Theme glitch in dev branch?

Copper Contributor

My search and favorite bar is completely unreadable in the last two updates. The last update makes this worse, usually I only need to create a new window to fix the theme applied but in the most recent update, I am not able to fix the theme of the search & favorite bars at all. White text against white background :\

ekottawa_0-1644503232064.png

6 Replies

Hey there @ekottawa, thanks for posting! This bug was caught in Canary, but the fix for it didn't quite make the cutoff for Dev this week. The fix is in 100.0.1161.0, which will move up to Dev next week. Most folks can also quickly fix this by uninstalling and reinstalling their theme, if you'd rather not wait for the next update. 

Alex Rowell (she/her)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge
Discuss Stable features and issues on the answers.microsoft.com forums, join us on Twitter, or join the communities over on Reddit in r/MicrosoftEdge or r/edge

@Alexandra-R Thanks - looking forward for a fix on this one. Also the theme seems to break at every edge upgrade. Would you have any details on uninstall/reinstalling the theme? I can't see any place where I can uninstall a theme.

@ekottawa "Also the theme seems to break at every edge upgrade." This is actually a larger issue that the team is aware of and trying to address, conversation is ongoing on that part!

As for this update, if you're using a theme from the Appearance page you can try switching to the default theme then back to your preferred theme, the uninstall/reinstall would be for themes from the web store -- should have clarified that, sorry about that! In either case, you should see your themes working as expected after the next update even if the 'workaround' doesn't fix this for you!

Switching back to Default and to one of the standard themes (dark slate, moonlight glow, etc.) does not fix the issue. You have to stick with Default with no alternative options...

@ekottawa Hey, friend! This should be resolved now. I saw a few people on Discord talking about this, and they were quite excited when they saw it fixed. Can you confirm that it's fixed for you now, too?

Missy Quarry (she/they)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge
Join us on Twitter, or over on Reddit in r/MicrosoftEdge or r/edge

best response confirmed by ekottawa (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MissyQ 

Yes, I can confirm this has been working for a while. And also themes have definitely been more stable, they used to break between builds but with the most recent builds, themes have been consistent from version to version.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ekottawa (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MissyQ 

Yes, I can confirm this has been working for a while. And also themes have definitely been more stable, they used to break between builds but with the most recent builds, themes have been consistent from version to version.

View solution in original post