SOLVED

Scroll stops working when using multiple desktops

Copper Contributor

My laptop has a Precision Touchpad, which is configured to change virtual desktops on a 3 finger swipe.  If I start to change desktops, but move back to the original without switching, the two finger scrolling has about a 70% chance to stop working in Edge, so scrolling webpages requires use of the scroll bar or arrow keys.  The browser also rejects most touchscreen input in this state.  The browser returns to normal operation after about a minute.

The computer is running the 20H1 Insider Preview of Windows 10, along with Edge Dev 80.0.355.1.

All other applications work fine.  Edge does not have to be in focus to be able to reproduce the bug, and the bug affects all open windows of Edge.

The only remedies I have found are to wait for the browser to return to normal operation, put the laptop to sleep and wake it back up, or to close Edge from the menu.  Switching to other desktops does not remedy the bug.

6 Replies

@thetechconspiracy Thanks for letting us know -- we appreciate your specificity. So that we can get a better understanding of where the bug is occurring: if you have access to Chrome, do you encounter the same scrolling issues?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

best response confirmed by thetechconspiracy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Deleted Unfortunately, I had to roll the machine back to Windows 10 1909 due to bugs in the 20H1 Insider Build, so I am unable to test further.  The scrolling issue does not occur in 1909.

@thetechconspiracy That makes sense, good to know. Please keep us updated if you notice any scrolling issues in that build too!

It is happening in 1909, 2004, 20H2 also. The issue still persists and annoys me a lot.

I've had this happen to me several times a day when working long days, and it is very frustrating. It seems to happen also in Word and Visual Studio 2019. Running 20H2.

The problem is recognized at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1134605. An OS fix has been issued and will be public in the Jan/Feb timeframe.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by thetechconspiracy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Deleted Unfortunately, I had to roll the machine back to Windows 10 1909 due to bugs in the 20H1 Insider Build, so I am unable to test further.  The scrolling issue does not occur in 1909.

View solution in original post