SOLVED

Scrambled words

Iron Contributor

I'm having a weird rendering issue. When I first opened the wiki page everything just load as fine but when I change to other tab and return there is certain parts of texts is scrambled. 

SharedScreenshot4.png

When I highlighted the texts in question then everything back to normal. But if I change tab and return again the same sections will be scramble again. 

Another one but worseAnother one but worse

I gonna ask is there anyone with similar issue?

21 Replies

Hi@Limyx826 

I just checked your Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_rail_terminology

on

Version 79.0.309.71 (Official build) (64-bit).

and

Version 81.0.407.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

couldn't reproduce that text distortion bug. could it be that a rogue flag is causing it?

has it happened on any other web pages?

@HotCakeX 

Just now I thought it is a one time issue, guess I'm wrong. 

I reopened the browser and open two wiki page that I had issue previously.AgainAgain

This page is the first time I saw this issueThis page is the first time I saw this issue

I will reply when I check others page. 

FYI: Microsoft Edge Dev 81.0.403.1 (64-bit)

@HotCakeX 

It seem to only affects wikipedia articles, and curiously only train-related articles. 

SharedScreenshot9.pngSharedScreenshot10.pngSharedScreenshot11.pngSharedScreenshot12.png

@Limyx826 

Not anymore

EdgeRender11.png

@Limyx826 

Spoiler

@Limyx826 wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Just now I thought it is a one time issue, guess I'm wrong. 

I reopened the browser and open two wiki page that I had issue previously.AgainAgain

This page is the first time I saw this issueThis page is the first time I saw this issue

I will reply when I check others page. 

FYI: Microsoft Edge Dev 81.0.403.1 (64-bit)

Well for the sake of testing, I just downloaded and installed Dev again and there it is

fsd.png

@Limyx826 

Spoiler

@Limyx826 wrote:

@HotCakeX 

It seem to only affects wikipedia articles, and curiously only train-related articles. 

SharedScreenshot9.pngSharedScreenshot10.pngSharedScreenshot11.pngSharedScreenshot12.png

lol I find it funny, i mean how can it only happen on train related articles, that's like such a big coincidence, or maybe some alien species are trying to communicate with us through an advanced form of language.

I could reproduce it on the same Dev version, happens randomly though, needed to close/reopen Edge dev a few times to make it happen again

@HotCakeX 

Definitely can happen on any webpage with text. Reddit, for example:

clipboard_image_0.png

Oh, well good news is it's not happening on Canary, probably fixed with a daily update, so hopefully the next major Dev update will contain the same fixes too.

@Limyx826 

I've been seeing the same thing.  It seems like it can happen on any web page, a small string of text will suddenly appear as garbage.  I thought at first that it might be a video card issue, maybe bad memory causing garbage output on a section of the screen, but then found that it's happening on my laptop as well as my desktop, and only on web pages, not in other apps.  Must be something in the current Edge dev build. 

For reference, I'm seeing this on Version 81.0.403.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

Here's a (redacted) screenshot showing an example I had a few minutes ago.  This was taken while I was viewing the message headers of an email on outlook.office.com.  

clipboard_image_0.png

On the second line, the C after my redaction is a real character that appears as it should, the garbage begins immediately after that.  

I'm also seeing corrupted text, in my case in almost every Word document I open in the web app.  Verified it's still present in today's update (81.0.410.1)

Bruce_Lowekamp_0-1580940519025.png

best response confirmed by Limyx826 (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Bruce_Lowekamp @Steve Whitcher @Limyx826 

"the visual glitch is completely random and not caused by any user actions, although highlighting the text should fix it (at least until it happens again). It's caused by an upstream Chromium bug, and we received the fix for it from them earlier this week, so it should make it into the next Dev release."

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-81-0-410-1-is-live/m-p/1154...

@HotCakeX 

Thanks for the news

@HotCakeX@Limyx826@Bruce_Lowekamp @Steve Whitcher : Thank goodness it's fixed. I was also worried it might be a hardware issue. So far, no more scrambled text on Dev 81.0.410.1.

@Mike Glenn I have scrambled text on this version. It is probably not included?

@VladislavKosev, looks like I jumped the gun. I just read through the 81.0.410.1 is live post and realized the fix hasn't been released yet. I updated to Dev to 81.0.410.1 and rebooted this morning. I haven't seen scrambled text all day so far, whereas it was happening frequently last night.

Out of curiosity, have you rebooted since noticing the scrambled text? It'll be interesting to see how long I can go before seeing the glitch again. 

@Mike Glenn, I did update this morning, but haven't rebooted. You think rebooting somehow relate to the problem? Had scrambled text just 10 minutes ago.

Anytime!

No rebooting is fine. the problem is within Chromium codes.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Limyx826 (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Bruce_Lowekamp @Steve Whitcher @Limyx826 

"the visual glitch is completely random and not caused by any user actions, although highlighting the text should fix it (at least until it happens again). It's caused by an upstream Chromium bug, and we received the fix for it from them earlier this week, so it should make it into the next Dev release."

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-81-0-410-1-is-live/m-p/1154...

View solution in original post