RSS Feeds for Microsoft Edge

Bronze Contributor

Hi,

In past RSS feeds used to be very popular and nowadays , they are not very common.

I am wondering, anyone is using RSS feed?

If yes, what is your use case?

Let's discuss this topic, since RSS is not available in Microsoft Edge and I am wondering is it important to have this feature in Microsoft Edge?

31 Replies

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

@Reza_Ameri-Archived wrote:

@Kam 

For now, the only option would be third-party extensions or using Internet Explorer.

Or Outlook

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/subscribe-to-an-rss-feed-73c6e717-7815-4594-98e5-81fa369e...

or UWP apps on Windows store

or Win32 apps on the Internet. hundreds of ways

There is not much waste of resources, GitHub is available and Microsoft could just monitor and manage it and leave the actual job to community.

And like I said there is 0 point in doing that while the "community" already made extensions for RSS, hundreds of them, and UWP apps, and Outlook, and websites to mange RSS, etc.

Whether it is waste of time and resources, it is up to Microsoft Edge team to decide, you might share your idea and I disagree because it depends on many factors and I don't think you could simply say no or yes and it is up to Microsoft Edge team to decide.

The best proof is most manufacturers or software vendors might not be harmful but they are not following strong security standards like Microsoft SDLC and they don't have strong team as Microsoft Security Response Center. It doesn't mean they are NOT safe but simply are not as trustworthy as Microsoft. For example, Google also has strong security team and with high quality standard but I prefer Microsoft over Google for many reasons and it doesn't mean Google is not good enough.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, I just told you the facts.

it is 100% waste of time for Edge team because the feature is not as popular as before, there are solutions from Microsoft for RSS, (Outlook), there are extensions on Microsoft addons store, there are apps on Microsoft store.

can't label everything "unsafe" and then create duplicate software for that reason, that doesn't justify it and it's wrong.

@HotCakeX 

I believe you know better that your NOT working for Microsoft Edge team. In this case, whether it is waste of time for the team or it is valuable feedback is something where engineers could decide, so please STOP posting comment on something which is NOT in your decision power. 

Please kindly stop commenting on this post.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

@Reza_Ameri-Archived wrote:

@HotCakeX 

I believe you know better that your NOT working for Microsoft Edge team. In this case, whether it is waste of time for the team or it is valuable feedback is something where engineers could decide, so please STOP posting comment on something which is NOT in your decision power. 

Please kindly stop commenting on this post.

First of all, if you have problem with my comments, use the report button.

if you don't want to continue the conversation you can stop replying.

I don't need to be working for Microsoft Edge team to know that it's obvious it is a waste of time.

anyone can see it that when there are Thousands of alternatives on various stores and even from Microsoft itself, it's waste of engineering and developing time to make a duplicate.

I don't need to be part of the Microsoft Edge team to know a lot of requests and feedbacks on the top feedback list need attention, engineers and developers don't have infinite time, they need to prioritize and actually have their own lives to attend to.

you posted this in discussion so you clearly wanted to discuss it. you can't cherry pick who comments and who doesn't. if you just simply wanted to give your feedback to Edge team, you could have done it through Edge feedback button, that would go Straight to team.

This is not my opinion, it's just the reality.

It's not about "decision power", you can't tell others to stop commenting on public forums. it's Rude.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

by the way, when Edge got shopping feature, some people weren't happy about it, because it was a built-in feature, while it could've be an extension instead

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-shopping-with-microsoft-edge/m-p/1978678...

this is another reason, on top of everything I said before, that this is a bad idea to put RSS into Edge. the goal is to make a browser everyone will love, not hate.

RSS is already not very popular.

Many companies doesn't allow usage of snap-ins, so this is absolutely an essential feature to have built-in for any company knowledge worker.
Many company security departments are kind of paranoid and hard to convince.
How on earth can I prove for my security department that a snap-in in safe?

I think your "facts" i biased on *not* working in a big corporate structure with strict IT-management.