Rough Estimate on Linux Beta?

Brass Contributor

Is there any sort of rough estimation on when we can get our hands on a beta build for Linux? I don't care how unstable it is, Linux users want to play with it.

9 Replies

@xanplx  "Is there any sort of rough estimation on when we can get our hands on a beta build for Linux?"

As far as I am aware, the last time Microsoft mentioned Edge on Linux in public was at the State of the Browser session at Ignite 2019, when Microsoft confirmed for the first time that a version of Edge was being developed for Linux -- the timeline given at the conference was the familiar "coming soon."

@Deleted  @MissyQ   Could one of you follow this up and see if you can get some newer information for us -- a rough timeline and an indication of how Microsoft plans to package (e.g. Flatpak, Snap, etc.) Edge for Linux?   

I'm one of many that can't adopt Edge as my primary browser without a port to Linux so it isn't an idle question.

@tomscharbach and @xanplx -- It's great to hear that you are eager to have this. I don't have info about any timeline for that, but I can tell you that any public updates would likely be posted in the Windows blog, or the Edge-specific one.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted "I don't have info about any timeline for that, but I can tell you that any public updates would likely be posted in the Windows blog, or the Edge-specific one."

Reading between the lines, I'm hoping that there is a team actively working on a Linux port.

@tomscharbach I believe the Linux is build is now officially "Planned", instead of simply "Under Review":

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-january-22/m-p/1123414

This was just yesterday, so that's probably good news for an upcoming Linux set (though I'm not sure when beta specifically will launch; hopefully, the same time as Dev/Canary/Stable).

Still no news on the Linux release :loudly_crying_face:

@TheAutisticTechie this post suggests only 3 weeks to go! Is there anywhere on MSDN to get a preview/canary?

Thats just saying its been on the list for 3 weeks. There's some thats been on there for over 10 :( I haven't found any downloads available anywhere yet

I can understand Linux is not a priority at the moment, because it's still a young project and the team needs to focus on Windows most of all. When finally a dedicated Linux team is assembled, I hope it is exactly that - have a few people who live and breathe Linux, to not make it an afterthought. Maybe such a team could implement things that we take for granted on Windows but are missing on Linux, like full GPU video acceleration.

@relu84 @TheAutisticTechie @lustcoder 

Thanks for your thoughts. Good news: per our Top Feedback post, I can confirm that Linux work is now "planned!" We appreciate your patience and continued feedback as we get started with this.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge