SOLVED

Right click on search results in edge://favorites to show the bookmark in its folder

Steel Contributor

Anyone else really want this? Imagine searching for "job" and finding the link you were looking for and wanting to see the other similar links you had in the folder that link was in. I'm not in that exact situation but I really need this for something time sensitive (like SUPER time sensitive and it's very important) and I use bookmarks a lot. I often bookmark entire windows.

22 Replies

@pneenkoalabear Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

To confirm, when you say that you like to "bookmark entire windows," are you referencing the set tabs aside feature in the previous version of Edge, or do you mean individually adding each tab in a window to a favorites folder?

And after chatting with one of our Devs, it sounds like doing a right click to search through the favorites isn't currently feasible, but we'll make a note of the request.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

"individually adding each tab in a window to a favorites folder?"

not quite. You don't have individually favourite each tab to a folder. You can do ctrl+shift+D to favourite all tabs in a window to a folder. You can also do this by right clicking in the tabstrip! :D It's really great as a tab hoarder lol.

"it sounds like doing a right click to search through the favorites isn't currently feasible"
I'm not sure if you misunderstood me.

clipboard_image_0.png

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about. If there were favourites with titles/links with "doggies", they'd show up as I searched for them. I don't have any in this screenshot as I have a lot of personal stuff in my own favourites so the screenshot is just to explain what I meant. In regular Chromium, I can right click on a result and click on "show in folder". This is important because when you search for things it's all a mess. Edge Chromium has it's own pages for settings, extensions, favourites, downloads and history and this wasn't implemented even though it's in Chromium/Chrome's bookmark page

clipboard_image_1.png

note: each time i kept saying bookmark when i meant favourite so i just went and fixed it. also snip & sketch is rather annoying to use compared to snipping tool but the shortcut changed...

tbh what I wrote didn't make much sense to me but I hope it makes sense to you

oh and this issue is still really important to me right now.
ya know... my dad actually asked me what i was typing 7hrs ago (last night for me) lol

@pneenkoalabear Thanks for the clarification, I understand your feedback better now! (And thank you for the reminder about how to favorite an entire window's tabs, I'd forgotten about that nifty feature.)

So to confirm, you're looking for the same right click/search functionality as Chrome, correct?

Fawkes (they/them)

yup.

I should've included screenshots in my original post
any update on this??? Each update I wonder if this has been added yet. Chrome/Chromium has this and so I don't know why Edgium doesn't.

perhaps you guys don't care about this because not many people care about this. i don't think this would ever reach one of the feedback collections, especially considering that this is old now.

@pneenkoalabear To confirm, I did send your feedback (and this thread) directly to our Collections team a few weeks ago. :) However, I cannot currently speak to the team's exact plans going forward.

Fawkes (they/them)

Collections? how peculiar.
thanks for sending it! I have so many bookmarks so finding the folder which the bookmarks that I am looking for is a nightmare. I'm tempted to install Chrome Dev or something, import my bookmarks and then search my bookmarks there but I worry that it may mess something up.

@pneenkoalabear My apologies for the typo, I did mean "Favorites."  (However, our Collections and Favorites teams do work very closely together, so the feedback actually goes through the same PM.)

Thanks again, and we'll let you know if we get any additional updates about this.

Fawkes (they/them)

im getting tired of waiting. i also lost all of my windows and tabs. days and days. i've lost my motivation. edge has impacted me personally twice now.

@pneenkoalabear We're sorry to hear about the negative impact this has had. I will follow-up with the Favorites team and see if I can get any additional insights for you.

Fawkes (they/them)

any updates at all?

Chrome has this but Edge doesn't. I don't get the lack of priority.

@pneenkoalabear Thanks for your patience. I can confirm that the team is actively discussing this and appreciated your feedback! We'll loop back with you when we hear more.

To follow up on this: "i also lost all of my windows and tabs." If you'd like to provide some more details (or submit feedback through the browser, if you haven't yet,) we'd be happy to do some further investigation. Are you using PWAs, by any chance?

Fawkes (they/them)

I'm kinda over Edge. This isn't some brand new feature or anything to discuss. It's something Chromium has.

@pneenkoalabear We're sorry to hear that. The product team does its best to accommodate as many feature requests as possible; unfortunately, the downside of receiving all this awesome feedback is that not everything can be implemented at once, even if it already exists in the Chromium Project. 

We've confirmed first-hand that this feature request (inspired by your post, specifically) is under consideration by the Favorites program manager herself. That being said, we cannot guarantee what the team's decisions or the next steps will be, but we can tell you that we'll loop back with you if there are updates.

However, we do take decreased productivity and potential data loss seriously, so if you would like us to take a deeper look, please refer to my previous response:

"To follow up on this: 'i also lost all of my windows and tabs.' If you'd like to provide some more details (or submit feedback through the browser, if you haven't yet,) we'd be happy to do some further investigation. Are you using PWAs, by any chance?"

Thanks,

Fawkes (they/them)

I won't ever get my sessions back and I feel as though I've wasted so much time.

I think I know what the issue is. When Edge crashes or Windows was restarted (and you know it'll prompt you to restore your tabs or at least let you ctrl+shift+t) and you open an InPrivate window of the same profle, that's when your session gets cleared. I wasn't ready to restore all of my tabs that day yet so I browsed InPrivate for a bit. BUT there was a time when another user shut down my laptop while Edge was running on my Windows 10 account (I'm still kinda mad at them). I lost my session then too. I think there are issues with when Edge thinks a user closed a session on purpose.

I have made my own "PWA" of Spotify and Deezer and I have installed Twitter. I imagine that it's like the InPrivate case although that's way more direct.
I don't even know why Edge doesn't have this. I thought Edge only changed the UI. Was it written from scratch (with React?)?

Would that also explain why scrolling edge://favorites takes time for the favourites to load? It's also mildly annoying that most scrollbars of "internal" pages don't have tacks. I know that Chrome has something called Web UI but I don't anything about it.

I really don't get it. It's not any old feature request considering Chromium has it. :(((((
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by pneenkoalabear (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@DeletedHALLELUJAH I can finally show a search result in its folder. Took a long time. I didn't get it in time for my tasks but at least it's here now.

I hope you guys will also work on the performance of the React pages and on the scrollbars of those pages. Edge looks really bad when I scroll with my touchpad or finger.

note: gotta edit this as you can't do much in a quick reply

edit: attached screenshot

View solution in original post