SOLVED

Right-click menu is getting out of control

Copper Contributor

The right-click menu on Edge is getting out of hand. There needs to be a way to hide or customize what appears on the menu. I am running Canary, and this is what I see when invoking the right-click menu.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 6.12.16 PM.png

The items inside the yellow box should be sub-menus or optional. You can probably make an argument that Save As... and Print... doesn't need to be there either. As a developer, I'm partial to Inspect, but View Page Source could be safely excised. 

It's even worse when I highlight text and open the right-click menu

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 6.15.34 PM.png

Why are there two search options and why ask if I want to translate something that is already in English? 

It's great that Edge offers all these tools, but surely there's a better way to show the users they are available. 

23 Replies
@RANDY ABBOTT

Search in Sidebar means that you don't have to open a new tab to search; therefore, your work won't get disturbed.

Search on the web means that you have to search the selected word in that page, therefore, you will lose typed or unsaved data.

@Kam 

Spoiler

@Kam wrote:
@RANDY ABBOTT

Search in Sidebar means that you don't have to open a new tab to search; therefore, your work won't get disturbed.

Search on the web means that you have to search the selected word in that page, therefore, you will lose typed or unsaved data.

That's not true.

you don't lose anything if you search for something on a new tab instead of sidebar, Edge never searched on the same page. please don't comment if you don't know about it.

@RANDY ABBOTT 

Hi,

I agree with you, I think in Edge settings, maybe here: edge://settings/appearance

we should be able to customize the right-click menu items with toggles, just like we can customize Edge toolbar items.

I myself also don't need all of those options, and/or I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts to invoke those features, so I can keep the right-click menu clean.

you see "translate to English" option regardless of the actual content language of the page. they did it because there are websites that incorporate more than 1 language, for example a web page that has German, English, and Chinese languages.

so, they decided (+ user feedback request) to keep that option in the right-click menu permanently, always offering to translate the page into the default language you set in Edge:

edge://settings/languages

if you're using canary I think you should know about Edge sidebar, it's like Edge legacy Bing search, where you don't have to open a new tab for web search and you can do it right on the same page.

has nothing to do with losing data or what you are typing etc. , just for convenience.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-sidebar-search-in-microsoft-edge/m-p/140...

@HotCakeX It opens on the same page for me.

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@HotCakeXIt opens on the same page for me.

Then something is wrong with your Edge. could be installed extension messing with it, a flag etc.

search the web for "..." doesn't normally open in the same page, it's not supposed to.

record a video of how you do it.

Like I said it's not normal and isn't the way it was build. it's happening due to user customization, extension etc.
reinstall whatever Edge you are using, as it's not stable and uninstallable (you have sidebar).

@RANDY ABBOTT Thanks for sharing that perspective. We try to balance the functionalities included in the context menu to maximize the helpfulness for most users. However, if you have thoughts about how we could do that better, we'd love to know! Feel free to leave another comment here, or submit detailed feedback through the browser, which goes directly to the team. (Shift+Alt+I)

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Kam That's interesting. Missy, Josh, and I don't think that is intended behavior, but I've passed this along to our Search team to confirm. In the meantime, can you please submit diagnostics, if you haven't yet?

Fawkes (they/them)

@Kam, yes, the team has confirmed that. "Search the web for <term> should open in a new tab using your default search engine." So it indeed sounds like you've stumbled across a bug! We'd appreciate it if you can report it.

Fawkes (they/them)

best response confirmed by RANDY ABBOTT (Copper Contributor)
Microsoft Verified Best Answer
Solution

@RANDY ABBOTT I just heard back from the feature owners, and the good news is that it sounds like improving the context menu experience is top-of-mind for them.

Fawkes (they/them)

or user-side configuration..
@Deleted Uninstalling and reinstalling Rewards fixed it!

@Deleted I think the first step here should be to remove the 'Inspect' and 'View page source' to be toggled on automatically if a user has DevTools open. I think normal users do not interact with those options, hence it makes sense to remove these options at the very first.

And "Cast Media to device"

honestly, I think we should have full control over it. maybe someone just wants to see "back" button in right-click, so let them have it. there is nothing wrong with that.

@HotCakeX I think people may still be using the casting option, but the 'Inspect' and 'Page Source' options are rarely used options. 

@Rohit Yadav 

@Rohit Yadav wrote:

@HotCakeX I think people may still be using the casting option, but the 'Inspect' and 'Page Source' options are rarely used options. 

I'm not saying remove it permanently, just make it optional like dev tools etc

@HotCakeX Yeah that is still a workable solution.

@RANDY ABBOTT  I get the same menu as you except for "Select web objects", but it my opinion I like being presented with all relevant options with the the context-sensitive right-click so I don't have to go hunting all over for functions that apply to the object I'm working with.  That's what the right-click in Windows was always designed to do. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RANDY ABBOTT (Copper Contributor)
Microsoft Verified Best Answer
Solution

@RANDY ABBOTT I just heard back from the feature owners, and the good news is that it sounds like improving the context menu experience is top-of-mind for them.

Fawkes (they/them)

View solution in original post