Reset Microsoft Edge Favorites?

Copper Contributor

i've been using a Microsoft Account for over a decade, and somewhere along the way, a bunch of my Internet Explorer favorites got sync'd/copied/imported/connected to my Microsoft Account. Now everytime i install a new OS and sign in with my Microsoft Account, i get the last 10 years of favorites in the Microsoft Edge browser.  I'd really like to start over from scratch, like i'm a brand new Microsoft user (both locally and online). How do i find where these "favorites" are located in my Microsoft Account and delete them forever so that i never see them again? And am i going to have to go find all the computers i have signed into lately and do something on those computers as well (to prevent the computer from copying them back to my Microsoft Account again)?   I'm using Microsoft Edge Dev and i just want a fresh start.  Leave the past behind, as it were....

3 Replies
Hi,
first of all check if there are any other instances of Edge insider browser or Edge browser on mobile connected to your Microsoft account, if they are, sign out from all of them and only keep 1 Edge insider browser, preferably the Dev channel that you mentioned, connected to your Microsoft account.

now make sure sync is enabled in the settings and it's working, and you are connected to the Internet.

then go to the edge://favorites/
and press CTRL+A so select all of your favorites (or those that you want) and delete them.

now go to the Edge classic, the one that is built in inside Windows 10, and remove any favorites that you have (if any) from there too.

wait an hour or 2, let the Edge sync the new changes back to the servers, but keep the Edge Dev browser open. after 2 hours, try turning off and on the sync and see if the favorites are gone, then wait some more time. once you're sure that the favorites are gone for good and turning off/on the sync won't bring them back again, go ahead and sign into other devices that you might have.

this is literally the only way it works, the sync servers are not good enough currently.

@HotCakeX Very good reply, i just deleted all my cache, i also went into the MS cloud to delete that as well (Messed up my login with Microsoft Edge! i am sure it should not.) but solved a few problems for me.

Thanks, that's good:)