[REQ] Media Autoplay blocking should stop video Buffering/Preloading in the background

MVP

Media Autoplay blocking has improved substantially, thank you for that!

there is however an issue with it. even though the Media Autoplay blocking is doing its job, but it does not stop the videos from buffering and preloading in the browser.

websites can still use Internet bandwidth to download the video file to user's browser and wait for the user to click on the play button to start playing it.

this is problematic for people with low Internet bandwidth or just for anyone who doesn't want to waste data on video files that they never intend to watch (thus set Media Autoplay blocking to "Block")

so as you can see in this page:

Annotation 2019-10-03 200345.png

there are enough empty spaces left there to add another small option.

so to make Media Autoplay blocking fully effective, please add an option which will stop video files from being preloaded/buffered in the browser in background. the option can be a toggle button.

By the way, it does not happen in all websites. only for those websites that implement HTML5 video attributes for video preloading. in other websites that do not include attributes and tags like that, the video neither plays nor preloads until user clicks on the play button.

Another feedback,

For example this page:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/health/2019/10/03/eee-eastern-equine-encephalitis-outbreak-gingras-ot...

if I was on the CNN home page and clicked on that page, the video would play automatically, but if I close my browser, reopen it and paste that link in the address bar, the video gets successfully blocked by Media Autoplay blocking.

Thanks

2 Replies

@HotCakeX 

confirm - a lot of sites continue playing/buffering video despite Block status.... and this is pretty annoying.

totally agree "Media Autoplay blocking" should block the loading/play of any video, even if the video is muted, for example Twitter videos.