Reproducible crash adding Edge Apps - happens 100% of the time

Copper Contributor

Edge: Version 79.0.309.71 (Official build) (64-bit)

Steps to reproduce: 

1. Go to any website

2. Click the · · · button > Apps > Install this site as an app

What I expect to happen:

Edge creates the app and continues functioning. And the new App also functions.

What happens:

1. Edge drops the app with its correct icon into my Edge Apps folder and opens it so it appears in my Dock. The new App shows a dot indicating that it's open.

2. Edge goes to permanent beachball until force quit

3. The new App is clickable and can be activated, but has no windows, just a menu bar with all options unselectable other than Quit. The App can be opened and quit but doesn't ever get any windows or do anything (regardless of whether Edge is open, hung, or not running).

4. After Edge is killed I was offered a stacktrace by the OS (attached in case it may be useful) 

Tried this with the Outlook webapp on my corporate office 365 account and also with a random personal site. Behavior was exactly the same both times.

8 Replies

@dgp-alo thanks for reporting this. We have not been able to repro it. Are you still seeing this on your machine? 

-John

Yes, I am, and I just got the Edge update 80.0.361.48 and tried it again, with identical results. The UI of the whole Edge browser completely and permanently locks up (although I can still see JS animation in browser windows continue to animate)

@johnjansen Can you help me find any possible clues as to why this is happening? I'm willing to try anything that would help reveal the source of this issue.

This "apps" feature was one of the main reasons I switched to Edge and I'm so bummed that it isn't usable.

@dgp-alo since we have not been able to repro this, I'm not sure about how best to workaround it. I think you could try uninstalling the build you are on, removing any sites you've installed, reboot. Then install the current build you want and try again. I've sent mail to our internal mac experts, but they have not yet gotten back to me.

Today I updated to Version 80.0.361.62 - and it looks like this bug is now resolved!

w00t

@dgp-alo thank you for letting us know!

Finally solved this mystery and wanted to share just in case anyone stumbles upon this post in the future: The application "uBar" which I was also using causes this to happen. If that app is open, Edge Apps don't work, and cause the browser to lock up. I found that Chrome Apps also exhibit the exact same issue in the presence of uBar.

Will take it up with that developer.

Thanks for reading,

-Daniel

@dgp-alo wow! Thanks for that update. I have never heard of uBar, but I can see how something that acts as a replacement for The Dock would break something like this.