Rendering problem

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this kind of question. If not, I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me to the right direction.

I am encountering a technical issue with Microsoft Edge Chromium. Since last Monday I am getting strange renderings, see screenshot below. I am using the Edge version distributed with the last big windows update on a Win10 Dell XPS15 setup. I am not using any insider version (Canary, etc.). The only thing I changed is installing latest Windows updates and the newest NVIDIA driver on Sunday. 

I could not find any related issues on the web so far. 

Anmerkung 2020-02-19 100313.png

Thanks,

Lorenz

15 Replies
Hi,
welcome to the community, it's indeed the right place.
I assume you can't go to settings either, right?
because I wanted to suggest to try turning off hardware acceleration from here: edge://settings/system

@HotCakeX Exactly, settings are affected as well. I also did a reinstall.

Interestingly, when trying to uninstall Edge via "App/Features > Edge > Uninstall" a second window is shown in the task bar, which I cannot see though. However, if I then open a new Edge window the rendering works as normal. See screenshot below:

Lorenz55_0-1582128622827.png

So this made me try to open two Edge windows at the same time, hoping the rederning problem will only affect one window. Unfortunatley, this did not work. The rendering problem was presented in both windows.

Lorenz55_1-1582128658136.png

Thanks,

Lorenz

@Lorenz55 Have you tried updating your GPU's drivers?

@msekmfb1 Yes, I have NVIDIA's GeForce GameReady driver version 442.19 released at 02/03/2020 installed. I have a Geforce GTX 1050.

Which Windows 10 version are you using btw?
Win10 Pro
Sorry I mean the version/build that is the number, you can go to settings => system => about and at the bottom find "OS Build"
Version 1909
Build 18363.657

@Lorenz55 

Delete the folder GPUCache and file Local State File in the Edge folder.

If it doesn't work, try to launch Edge with argument  --disable-gpu

To be precise, GPU Cache locates here: 

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\ShaderCache\

Good that's the latest, so you are sure that before updating your graphic card driver to the latest version, Edge was Ok ?

Disabling Hardware acceleration is not a solution though, when I suggested that I wanted to see if graphic card is the culprit or not.
Microsoft should still Fix this issue, I've seen other people having the same problem as well.

maybe it's from Nvidia's side or maybe it's from Microsoft's side.

Also disabling hardware acceleration degrades performances a lot. specially on Nvidia cards that are more compatible than AMD cards and can boost programs performance, on browser when watching videos on YouTube etc and web page loading and performance overall

Deleting the GPU cache seems to have worked. I did a restart and everzthing works now.

@Lorenz55 Does Google Chrome works fine too?

Now your hardware acceleration is off in here: edge://settings/system
?
Hardware acceleration is activated.
Google Chrome works fine.