Remove "Other favorites" folder?

Copper Contributor

While I know that you can hide this "Other favorites" folder from the favorites bar by not placing any bookmarks inside of it...  I am wondering why I can't delete this folder from Favorites? It's annoying!

Other_Favs.jpg

16 Replies
Hi,
that's so true, I tried deleting all my favorites in other favorites folder but it still stays there with no delete option.
I guess it's a bug that once that folder is created it can no longer be deleted.

@HotCakeX 

Eight months later and the issue is still present! I am struggling with this bug, lol. Knowing that this unnecessary folder is there, bothers me. As a result I still avoid using Edge. 

I wonder if a fresh install of Win10 removes this folder?

@calebme 

I have the same issue, it persists even if you change to a brand new computer... I also would like to rename this folder and use the very same folder on my phone mobile edge instead of having an "other favorites" on PC and a "mobile favorites" for phone usage...

@calebme 

Spoiler

@calebme wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Eight months later and the issue is still present! I am struggling with this bug, lol. Knowing that this unnecessary folder is there, bothers me. As a result I still avoid using Edge. 

I wonder if a fresh install of Win10 removes this folder?

there is no hiding lol, Google Chrome has this folder too, that can't be deleted.

as a matter of fact, this problem is coming from Chromium.

a fresh install of Windows 10 won't change it.

@PJGaspar 

please use the feedback button on Edge desktop and mobile to send this request as feedback to Edge developers, if they see enough people are requesting the same thing, they will give it higher priority and fix it quicker.

@calebme type: "edge://favorites" in URL. Click on other favorites. ctrl+a to select all of them then delete. That will automatically remove the folder. 

@eliasabiadal 

You can't CTRL+A the ':file_folder: Other folders'. You also can not right-click on it to remove it either. Can you confirm that you have done this and this works? I am using Edge version 90.0.818.56 (Official build) (64-bit). 

@calebme eliasbiadal is correct. That procedure won't remove the folder itself, but it allows you to quickly delete all of the contents of that folder, which will, as he/she stated, auto-remove the folder from the toolbar

@calebme 

My two cents (as usual).

Favorites dichotomy is rather well placed in web browsers domain from its inception (nearly). It might be seen from psychological point of view, as well. It'd be thought about as a primary set of favorite hyperlinks (Favorites bar) and a secondary (auxiliary) set of also favorite and saved addresses (Other favorites). Those unloved ones are simply not present,  a very benign solution.

Really, it's not a thorn in an ...! You can see it, or not. Accepting reality betrays higher harmony with life. :)

BTW. Other favorites aka Other bookmarks can be very useful when recognized. I've always used them during my adventures with web browsers. Its footprint is so small (see my screenshot) that I do not understand why the battle for its removing (hiding).

[Fig. 1] Favorites panel with Favorite bar opened. D'you really see the tiny speck on the screen (right-top corner)?

ssex_0001_2021.10.12-14.09.11.png

Regards

--
MS Edge Dev 96.0.1032.0-1
Debian Bullseye GNU/Linux 5.10.70-1, X.org 1.20.11, IceWM 2.1.2
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650, Driver 460.91.03, systemd 247 (247.3-6)

It is a problem for some, and not a problem for some. I for example have to have web-browser or two constantly open in 3-column split view and due to my bad eye-sight, I have to have rather large magnify-factor in display settings.

In these cases, the other favourites bar takes half of the whole favourites bar and it is quite disruptive. However, luckily I found the solution of how to get rid of it following eliasabiadal's suggestion
So, you did it, no need to inflate Edge. On the other hand your example is rather exceptional. The second bookmark set is complementary to primary and it is very handy in much more usual ways of working/playing/toying. It's not a hindrance even when not used. Anyway thanks for shedding a new glimmer of light to other demands.
My sincere regards
This worked for me - thanks!

@eliasabiadal that works for a limited time, unfortunately you will see again the other favorites plenty after some time.

Someone please tell me how to post projects on this website
The other favorites is a ghost folder that you never created, maybe it comes from another devices, and with this folder it takes more time to view the favorites column from above (more favorites = more time to charge them).

Hello

I would also like to delete this folder which is useless, anyone find a solution ?
Edit bookmark file ? :lol:

Thanks