Remove New Tab Page

Iron Contributor

As Start Menu is to Windows, New Tab is to Edge (Browsers). Atleast All of us agree to this.

Having multiple new tabs is like opening multiple start menu in windows

So why don't have something like a start menu in edge instead of the new tab page. It should be flyout like the start menu in windows is.

This Feature could set it apart from other browsers.

I know that you guys could design better UI than I could photoshop

Those multiple new window buttons could be replace with somethings like setting, extentions, inprivate window etc

Untitled-1.png

25 Replies
I'd vote for the Start menu style for NTP too ;)

@HotCakeX not a tab instead a flyout/popup

Oh, like one that will always be there on any page?

@HotCakeX  Yes, May be pressing Alt key shows it. Just like Win key opens the start menu in windows

@Maan2003 This ain't gonna happen. But since you brought it up, a NTP modeled after the Windows 8 Start screen might actually work. Your quick links could be like live tiles, and populate with the same cool animation as when you opt to "use Start full screen" in Windows. But I would still make it a tab.

Looks like a nice improvement.

Currently ALT key is used to shift the focus to the Edge menu (ellipsis)

Why set focus to menu, When you can open it using Alt-F or Alt-E
ALT doesn't open menu, it shift the focus to the ellipsis menu (button). you can navigate from there to the left to choose other buttons up there like collection, favorites or extension icons.

@JordanQ I think that you didn't get me.

Alert Box is like flyout/popup/overlay something like that. But it is not a tab.

Think of the Edge start menu to be like a large overlay ( like an alert box). It won't be a tab. It may not be full screen

Just like Windows 10 start menu is not a window it is flyout/overlay ( anybody please help me what is called? :grinning_face:) 

@HotCakeX ok I didn't use it before. 

May the could use left Alt (because it near the win key) for Start menu and right Alt / Alt Gr to set focus to the "..." menu.  Or they could use some other key

@JordanQ Moreover what does a browser has to do with live tiles???

clipboard_image_0.pngJust Ignore the contents

This kind overlay I was talking about (larger version). This doesnot look like a tab.

Spoiler

@Maan2003 wrote:

@HotCakeX ok I didn't use it before. 

May the could use left Alt (because it near the win key) for Start menu and right Alt / Alt Gr to set focus to the "..." menu.  Or they could use some other key

Yea i think ALT + Win key would be good, it's currently not assigned in Edge.

I think this one explain it better.

edge.png

Yeah, I like that besides the most visited websites, we will be able to see most used web apps (PWA) too and a little bit of history.
the tiles on there can be live tiles too, i made a post about it
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Turn-the-Tiles-on-the-Edge-NTP-New-Tab-Page-into-...

Also, The search bar ( "Type here to Search" ) in the top should be global search from favorites, history, downloads, settings, quick toggles, extentions ,etc should first priority, second edge help and community, third bing search/

Just Press Alt-Win key and start typing*

Yes, they sound great

@Maan2003 Ehh I don't really think this is a great idea. My biggest concern is how do you open a page in a new tab vs in the current tab? The whole concept seems pretty unintuitive. And then, if you do open a new tab as you normally would, then what's supposed to happen? This really seems like un-needed complexity.

@EbonJaeger There can be a full page version of this which opens in a new tab.