Relationship between Edge version and Chromium version

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Chrome's version is always an exact match to a Chromium version, which improves traceability. That way, I can easily check if a bugfix from Chromium has already been added to a dev or beta channel. Edge, however, does not seem to match Chromium's tags, other than the major version.

Are you applying a concrete scheme to Edge's versioning in relation to Chromium's? It would be great to easily see which concrete Chromium build an Edge version is running.

Cheers

Stefan

3 Replies

Hi @Stefan-Ilic 

you can find that out from here:

edge://version/

Annotation 2019-11-14 172316.png

@HotCakeX 

thank you for your answer, it's very helpful!

One aspect is still unclear to me, though.

The Dev channel is still relatively fresh―it’s the best build of the week from the Canary channel. We look at several sources, like user feedback, automated test results, performance metrics, and telemetry, to choose the right Canary build to promote to the Dev channel.

That makes sense, but Canary does not seem to use the latest Chromium build, what's the policy there?

Also, what's the policy for choosing beta channel's build version? 

I know these questions seem a bit pesky, but it's important for me to know when to implement workarounds for certain issues in my web apps vs how long I'd have to wait for the Chromium fix to arrive in the respective Edge channels.

Thanks again for your great answers.

You're welcome :)
well those questions are good but can only be answered by Microsoft employees and Edge developers team,
but my guess is that Microsoft always keeps their Edge a bit behind the Google chrome and Chromium because they have to first apply new Chromium updates to their Edge code base and then also add new features that they develop primarily for Edge insider to the code, that's why it takes more time and keeps them behind the Chromium version.
I could be wrong though