[Regression] Smooth scrolling and zoom seem to be broken in latest dev build

Deleted
Not applicable

As in title, pinching the trackpad doesn't zoom into the page anymore, instead, scales the page as if Ctrl + + was hit. 

I guess pictures speak louder than words, so here is a bunch of them in a GIF (attached below).

It randomly starts working again (you'll get what I mean after you watch the GIF), and then randomly breaks again when loading an existing tab. But reproduceable always breaks when creating a new tab, and then switching back to it. 

Thanks.

Update: Reinstall doesn't fix the issue. Using BETA build for now. I would really love to see this issue fixed in the dev builds. 

8 Replies

I also experienced this problem after updating the latest dev build 87.0.644.4. The behavior is like after switching the tabs, Edge does not recognize precision touchpads anymore and treats it as a mouse. The scrolling and zooming behavior are both very similar to a scroller on mouse (i.e. although smoothed, there are very clear "ticks" in the procedure). I can confirm that a new tab would not have this problem but after switching away and then back to it this problem begins.

Yeah exactly. Hope this gets the attention of the devs. This is jarring to both scrolling the general usage experience. I'd try to do a reinstall, but awheck that's a lot of re-setup to do. Ain't nobody got time for that :\
is it possible to use that kind of zoom feature (which works like magnifying) on desktop too?
(not the actual built in zoom feature that is based on %)
I don't think it's available on desktop, unless you hook up something 'precise' to track minute incremental changes in user input, like trackpads on laptops.

Would be a cool feature to add to desktop on mouse scroll. I actually miss this A LOT when I'm working on a desktop, as sometimes, I want to quickly zoom in on the text on some blogs etc where the content is mostly in the center of the page, without actually scaling all of the content.
Well there you go, next feature request :)
Haha yeah! I'll probably ask for that after this issue is fixed.

I'm also experiencing this issue. It makes me grateful my desktop monitor has touch - the old %-step-based-scrolling behavior is slow and makes too many websites totally unusable. I didn't realize how much I'd miss the smooth zooming of a precision touchpad until now that it's broken! I totally second the suggestion that desktop users could set their scroll wheel to use the modern zoom feature as well!

I can still reproduce this issue with the latest stable Edge 101.0.1210.53. Sometimes Edge fails to recognize my precise touchpad and treats it as mouse, but if you switch between tabs, it may work again.