SOLVED

Regarding inbuilt VPN and/or TOR options for Edge (chromium)

Brass Contributor

Everyone prefers privacy over being exposed to the web. Mozilla Firefox offers an inbuilt VPN option in it's latest browsers, and Brave browser offers TOR option in it's inprivate mode.

Similarly, if Edge provided any of these two, or both of these options (along with inprivate mode), how would you like it?

As everyone would have used those other browsers, or used their features, you would've experienced the pros and cons of them. 

How useful would it be? If it would be useful, what are the scenarios they could be used in? Would you like to have them?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies
best response confirmed by R7anubis (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Tor is only recommended to be used with the Tor browser, which is the modified version of Firefox, brave integrating it on their own isn't as much secure.

Tor Project: FAQ

In short, using any browser besides Tor Browser with Tor is a really bad idea.

Our efforts to work with the Chrome team to add missing APIs were unsuccessful, unfortunately. Currently, it is impossible to use other browsers and get the same level of protections as when using Tor Browser.

about VPN, there are hundreds of VPN extensions out there for Edge and Chromium browsers in general, there is no point in Microsoft putting a paid VPN inside Edge.

@R7anubis , why can't Edge make their own? It already offers tracking prevention. That's enough for me.
Can you please tell me which free VPN extension is the best for Edge, which is safe, doesn't steal your data, and provides the best experience?
@R7anubis It's definetly not Google.

@R7anubis 

@R7anubis wrote:
Can you please tell me which free VPN extension is the best for Edge, which is safe, doesn't steal your data, and provides the best experience?

I don't think anyone can answer to that unless you see what they are doing on their end.

there is an article about VPN security here that's worth reading

VPN Services | PrivacyTools

but you can sort VPN extensions in Chrome and Edge extension stores by popularity or rating and see which one is faster for you

@HotCakeX Thanks a lot. I'll surely check the article out.
Sounds good, you're welcome!

@R7anubis 

I don't trust Chromium a bit. There are a lot of data breaches, which leads to privacy threats. I have my passwords saved in Google passwords and they got leaked. Literally, hackers were mailing me my password asking for money.

There's nothing better than VPN + Tor, especially when you want to access dark web. I'm the guy who works for a cybersecurity magazine. I implement these tactics to stay on the safe side: 

1. Nord VPN: Onion over VPN feature is enabled 

2. I keep a separate device for browsing 

3. I don't give permission to my Tor browser for camera, contacts, or anything like that

4. I only go through trusted onion links. After all, there are sites that try to phish me out. For instance, there's a site named Darknetone, which is one of the biggest dark web site that's on the clear web, known for phishing. On the other hand, there are sites like livedarknet or Dark owl that are trustworthy enough. I found some Good search engines on Live Darknet. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by R7anubis (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Tor is only recommended to be used with the Tor browser, which is the modified version of Firefox, brave integrating it on their own isn't as much secure.

Tor Project: FAQ

In short, using any browser besides Tor Browser with Tor is a really bad idea.

Our efforts to work with the Chrome team to add missing APIs were unsuccessful, unfortunately. Currently, it is impossible to use other browsers and get the same level of protections as when using Tor Browser.

about VPN, there are hundreds of VPN extensions out there for Edge and Chromium browsers in general, there is no point in Microsoft putting a paid VPN inside Edge.

View solution in original post