Reading list

Brass Contributor

From the old Edge I´m missing most is the Reading list function. I have used that from the beginning and it has been a lifesaver in my work. Please add it to this new Edge as well

67 Replies

@Drew1903 

Yeah but importing Reading List into Favorites doesn't really help me much. The Offline reading support is what I really need. Reading List did a very good job of that and unfortunately, collections doesn't support downloading the entire page for offline reading. It's pretty lacking.

So true.
offline feature for collections has been suggested before, hope developers listen and add it to new Edge

@Phillip Frabott 

Yes, Phillip, I do know what your saying.  Myself, I'm hoping it will be further developed in Edge C. from what it is, now.  The Off-line part is what particularly excited people.

Cheers,
Drew

So far they enabled Collection sync which is a good start towards achieving that.

@HotCakeX 

I don't see this happening without it becoming a complex mess of code that slows down Edge. The reason that the Reading List offline works is because the reading list is nothing more then a flat list. No folders no "containers", just a flat list of web pages that are downloaded. Once you introduce a container the management becomes very complex. You have to not only manage offline syncing itself but now you have to separate everything out into the various containers and be sure that if a user has the exact same page in two completely different containers that removing the page from one container doesn't remove the offline page itself since it's in another container. This will be a complex operation and will have an impact on performance. Maybe not if a user has 3-4 containers with maybe 10-15 items in it, but what happens when you have 20 or even 30 offline containers with over 100 pages in each (3,000 offline pages). that a lot to not only sync and have available offline but now Edge also has to know which offline page goes to what containers, etc. The best option is to bring over the existing Reading List as is and build on it from there if needed. Flat lists are always less complex and less of a performance hit then containers and complex tiers.

Well I'm not sure, it all comes down to how it is made, if the Edge team have the engineers and developers that are up for it then maybe they can pull that off

@amitkun Being into sales, I travel a lot and mobile internet is not that reliable when you board Mumbai Local Trains in India. I use reading list to save articles offline on all synced devices and read them during travel. 

This is something which became a habit from Safari / pocket which has excellent sync between devices. But I don't want to load the browser with any more add-ons than extremely necessary. So it would be great if we can have a reading list features in the Chromium version of Edge as well. 

Cheers

ABSOLUTELY!

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile :mobile_phone: