Reading list

Brass Contributor

From the old Edge I´m missing most is the Reading list function. I have used that from the beginning and it has been a lifesaver in my work. Please add it to this new Edge as well

67 Replies
Totally agree, it's a very great feature to add to the new Edge. Especially to have more features than other explorers.

Great feedback.
Greetings.

@Ari Suominen 

Hi Ari,

I am quite sure this is a known issue.  People have been indicating this is a "Must have", a "Keeper" for while. Now, it's :crossed_fingers: that it we see it, soon.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

I am new to the forum - reading list is important to me too. Though what they implemented in old Edge was poor compared to the original reading list app. If implemented, hope they add categories.

@amitkun The base usage scenario for me is to put articles in the Reading List on my phone's Edge on iOS and read them later on my desktop, or indeed any other device when I have the time. I dispose of them once I've read them, so it's not something I want to put into favourites. 

In principle an extension such as Pocket serves this purpose, but it was nice to have this built in right there.

Thank you for sharing! @wigster 

@Ari Suominen Though the New Edge is faster and maybe better than the original, the Reading List makes me stay at the old.

I hope thw Microsoft will implement it in the new Edge, also

@Aris Papachristou 

Indeed, Aris, we all are hoping the same thing for this and a few other Edge must-haves, must-keeps since new Edge will replace current Edge they DO need to be included.  We are being told they will be... and things are showing up, although, not all at once.  But it is good there are comments & requests sharing SO much common ground & the same expressed by SO many people.  We are asked for patience.  The Team certainly know what Users want, it's repeatedly stated similarly by person after person.  The stuff has to go in that will make people smile & be happy enough w/ (new) Edge to, actually, use it.  And if people, already, use Edge because of it having certain things then obviously it's a no-brainer that those same things MUST continue to be Edge things!

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

It seems to me that Collections are in improved version of the Reading List. It would then, however, be nice to be able to have our Reading List from the legacy Edge easily migrated into Collections. One could also simply create a collection called Reading List in order to separate it from your other Collections.
One of the things I was using the Reading List for was to triage articles on my phone’s Edge browser to be read later on my desktop. Collections are to complicated a feature to be put on the mobile browser probably, but a mobile reading list could appear as a particular collection on the Desktop.

@wigster 

This is a comment to the thread rather than any individual.  There is a fundamental point here.  Now Reading List & Collections are being jointly discussed.  This goes back to what Favs.jpg is in Edge!  It is not nothing more than a display of ones Favorites... it includes ones Reading List! 
Filist.jpg
In other words, in Edge C, right now, we have, an incomplete Favs.jpg and Collections.

Maybe just put Collections where Reading List is, now (underlined in red, above); meaning Collects would replace Reading List. <-- Just a thought...

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Yes. collections are different than reading list in a way that collections only save a link to a content on the web whereas reading list saves the actual content locally for off line reading later, even without internet connection, and it also syncs it between all of your devices.

Reading list is a must have! collections have different use cases.
Yeah that's my only grip with collections is that it does not work offline. This makes it unfeasible as a reading list replacement. Now, if they can make collections work in offline mode then we might have a contender for a reading list replacement but since collections is not exactly designed for that, I think having all your collections offline will not work very well.

@Phillip Frabott 

Phillip, that was my point.  If the Team thinks or wants us to think Collections replaces Reading List, it, really, doesn't/can't.  Ergo, it's fine to have added Collections... but, it doesn't really belong discussed together with Reading List AND goes back to the fact that, thus far, Edge C has given an incomplete Favs.jpg or another example of messing with or omitting things in Edge that should be left the way they are!

The remark grew out of someone suggesting Collections to be an improved 'reading list'.  Collections may be great, but, Reading List is missing & that's unacceptable..

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Yes true. though you can export your collections to word or excel and keep them offline, but you know, it's just extra work, reading list would take care of this automatically.

@HotCakeX 

Except not everyone has Word and Excel on all their devices. I'd have to test out if it actually downloads the entire web site (even when just a link is provided) when exporting. Something tells me it doesn't.

If you tried a collection export you'd see that it always opens it in Word and Excel online, doesn't rely on installed versions of them.

@HotCakeX 

You are aware that Word Online and Excel Online require an "ONLINE" connection. We are specifically talking about offline access which reading list provides. In addition, if we disregard the fact that this is related to offline situations, not everyone has access to Word Online and Excel Online either. So that still wouldn't fix the problem for everyone.

1. adding an article to the reading list requires an Internet connection too. syncing reading list to other devices require Internet connection too.
how can you even add something to the reading list when you are offline? it's impossible.
so first you need an Internet connection to find your content on the web and to add it to the reading list, once added, the reading list will use that Internet connection to save that content locally.
it's the same for collections. you need Internet access to find something on the web and add it to the collection. so once you've added all your contents to your collection, don't disconnect, spend 1 more minute online, export your collection to Word or Excel online, then disconnect your Internet connection.

2. why do you say not everyone has access to Word and Excel online? it's a free service from Microsoft. Everyone can use it with just a free Microsoft account.
having Microsoft account is also a requirement for reading list and collections.

@HotCakeX 

Yes, an internet connection is required to add something to the reading list, but once it's on the reading list, you can go offline and are able to read it without an internet connection. An example would be, while I'm in a plane.

Yes, everyone with a Microsoft Account, who lives in a country where Word Online and Excel Online are available to that country can access Word Online and Excel Online WHILE THEY ARE ONLINE.

However, the two issues are, for my case, I am not allowed to use a Microsoft Account at work (they actually block this completely) which means I cannot use Word Online and Excel Online (AGAIN, WHILE I'M ONLINE). I use Edge with my Azure AD account to sync my Reading List.

However, even IF I could use a Microsoft Account, I STILL CANNOT USE WORD ONLINE IF I DO NOT HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION. I don't know why you think Word Online works offline. The word ONLINE is even in the name Word Online. I don't think you understand what we are trying to say here about offline reading.

Yes that's how reading list works, my point was that you can use collections the same way. collections and reading lists both have the same restrictions regarding Internet connection availability.

when you add something to the reading list, depending on your connection speed, you have to wait for the browser to download it for offline usage.
when you add something to the collection, you can do this part manually, by exporting your collection to the Word or Excel online and then it will be available for offline usage.

Do you know any countries in which Word or Excel online is not supported?

okay now you mentioned your issue, that's good. the thing is, these export destinations for collection (Word and Excel) are not all of it, the team is still working on adding more options and formats to export the collections to. including but not limited to: Email, OneNote, offline Office products etc. maybe they will add an option in the future to mark a collection to be available offline.

I don't think and never said that Word online works offline, please read my above reply.