Read Aloud toolbar not showing

Copper Contributor

Sorry if this isn't the place to post this, but hopefully others can steer me in the right direction!

We have our pupils running with GPOs which add "edge://*" in the blockedURL list, and "edge://print, "edge://downloads", "edge://print"" in the permitted URL list.

This allows us to lock out all of the settings, and prevent tampering.

Yes, I know it says it's not recommended - but we've had it this way in Chrome for years without issue.

When pupils use the Read Aloud function, Edge isn't loading the control toolbar. So pupils get the page read out, but they're unable to configure it. Or - more importantly - STOP it from reading.

I scripted in the import of all of the edge:// URLs from edge://edge-urls/ adding all of them to the permitted URL list. No difference. So - presumably - the ReadAloud toolbar has an undisclosed edge:// URL.

Can someone identify what this edge:// URL is, so that I can add it to the permitted list?
The alternative is adding all of the individual edge:// URLs to the blocked list - which I really don't want to do, as it'll mean having to maintain that any time there's a new edge URL added.

3 Replies

You may be looking for internal resource url. Since it is not for disclosed usage but for internal usage, it might be changed anytime.
Even if you could find the url (eg. "edge://read-aloud-bar"), it is possible changed to the other name on next/future version.

IMHO, this issue itself should be treated as a bug, I guess. Read aloud feature must not be affected by blocking url with GPO. (I can reproduce it on 90.0.818.56(stable) and 92.0.880.0(canary))

Hi, atlanto.

Thanks for confirming that the issue exists with the newest versions - at least I know I'm not imagining it, or have messed something up with juggling this among other work things :)

Treating this as a bug sounds like the way to go if it's easier than trying to get someone to release the name of this hidden internal possibly changeable URL. How do I go about doing that?

I did send feedback about this issue as a bug. (no other way)

(Honestly, I don't think MS developers accept it and fix it soon. Try "edge://read-aloud-bar" within URLAllowlist for now.)