SOLVED

Read Aloud for PDF files is greyed out

Steel Contributor

This week's new features include Read Aloud for PDF files. That option is greyed out when displaying a PDF file. However, it works fine for web pages.

6 Replies

@NicolSD- Maybe it's being revised. I noticed the "normal" voice sounds slower than it should. I compared it to other website voice readers. It's at though the Egde version's 1.00x should actually be the 1.25x to sound normal. The current 1.00 one sounds more like it should be 0.75x. 

best response confirmed by NicolSD (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Hi @NicolSD, this is my fault, I jumped the gun on this announcement.  We are making progress towards Read Aloud for PDF, but it is not ready yet.  Sorry - Elliot

Hi, @Elliot Kirk, i am glad to hear that this feature will be available. Is it possible to know how long you intend to have this option developed? Thank you for your attention and wish you success at work.

@jpbonner I too noticed this and would like it to be available as the new neural voices are amazing and really help me focus on what I am reading. The way I got around it right now is to upload the PDF to my onedrive and then just view it online. The read aloud works great, I just don't understand what makes it grayed out for local files.

Looks like some progress is being made here,

In the last 3 canary updates, I noticed Read Aloud is no longer grayed out

jhjghj.png

when I click on it, I get this

jghjhgj.png

It's not reading anything for me but I also have problems getting Read Aloud functionality working on normal web pages either, so give it a try see how it works for you

I am Beta for IOS (ipad/iphone) version 93.0.961.27 beta. I want to read PDF aloud - but the option is not active. Why? I really want PDF Read Aloud - Edge TTS is THE BEST.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by NicolSD (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Hi @NicolSD, this is my fault, I jumped the gun on this announcement.  We are making progress towards Read Aloud for PDF, but it is not ready yet.  Sorry - Elliot

View solution in original post