RE: Edge for Linux release date

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

First off I am new to this forum. Secondly, I was just wondering when Microsoft is planning on making the beta version of Edge available to Linux users? I use Linux Mint and would love to be a beta tester. When I heard it was going to be in October, I was excited. However it still says coming soon for Linux on the Insider page. When will we be able to beta test it? I am also wondering if we need to sign up for the beta?

4 Replies

I am also new on this forum, and totally hoping to be able to use Edge on Linux soon.

I'm using Edge (Chromium) on Windows since the day it came out and completely replaced Chrome with it. On my office computer I am using a Linux Xubuntu installation, which makes this ten years old Celeron machine quite usable. So I'm looking forward to do beta testing and sharing my experience on how Edge will be running on this old, low-level machine.

Hello @JesseBassett 

I believe that there will be no need to subscribe, as there is currently no subscription to use edge dev or edge canary on windows, anyone can download these channels and use

@JesseBassett It's great to hear that you're excited about Microsoft Edge on Linux! I have two pieces of good news for you. First, no need to sign up! When we officially release support for Linux, you should be able to just go to this page.

And you're correct, we are still scheduled to release it this month! We'll post about it in a number of places (which will likely include our blog and/or "What's New" page,) so just keep an eye out in the near future. 

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@JesseBassett Exciting news: we released support for Linux on Tuesday! You can read more about it here: Introducing Microsoft Edge preview builds for Linux - Microsoft Edge Blog (windows.com)

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge