RD-Session - no new MS Account possible

Copper Contributor
Hello everyone, I have the following problem:
RD session, user wants to log into Edge, but does not have a Microsoft account.
The option to create a new account does not appear.

Does anyone have any clues for me?

regards
Sash
14 Replies

You want your remote desktop users to create an online Microsoft account or just an offline profile in Edge? (which should be created by default)

Hello, I would like to create an MS account
Here an RD session with the correct selection and one with a missing selection. Are different RD hosts. For better information only

@sashflash 

@sashflash wrote:
Hello, I would like to create an MS account

So just use a browser and go to this website: https://signup.live.com

Hello, I have about 100 users in the RD Collection. I cannot delegate this task to every user

@sashflash 

thanks for the pictures, I noticed that you are using a rather old version of Windows 10 (version 17763)

the support of which has ended. try using a newer version of Windows 10

Products Ending Support in 2020 - Microsoft Lifecycle | Microsoft Docs

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

I think this is the reason for your problem

@sashflash 

@sashflash wrote:

Hello, I have about 100 users in the RD Collection. I cannot delegate this task to every user

Well, how else do you want to create 100 personal Microsoft accounts?

usually, administrators either limit the users to use the offline local profile in Edge, or, they use Microsoft Azure active directory to create bulk work accounts for users and then automatically enroll those computers and respective Edge browsers to use AAD accounts.

there is no way to create bulk personal Microsoft accounts. definitely not from the same IP without triggering a spam check.

Hello, I have several RD Sessions Hosts (Terminal Servers).
Here it should be possible for every registered user to create an MS account himself / herself.

@sashflash 

Did you read my comment about end of support of old versions of Windows 10?

Does this also apply to Windows Server Systems 2016 (14393,3930) ?

Thanks, I've tested it now. A Windows Server 2012 R2 has the same error pattern.
Many Thanks !
Another question would be, what is the difference to the offline account? Would that be an option, or will it not work either?

it would work with an older version of Edge.

would it work with an older version of Edge?

@sashflash 

Windows server 2016 End of life is January 11, 2022 and for the Extended support it is January 11, 2027

I don't think the problem is your Windows server (host), the problem is the image used for remote desktops which is an old version of Windows 10.

you need to update the remote desktop image that you use to create virtual desktop pools and use the latest Windows 10 version.

when you say older version of Edge, do you mean the legacy Edge (Edge HTML) or just a previous version of Chromium-based Edge?

it might or might not work.

an offline profile in Edge means that you have access to full functionality of Edge browser, except for the sync features. sync features need either a personal Microsoft account or a work Microsoft account.