SOLVED

Raw audio capture flag

Copper Contributor

In other Chromium-based browsers there is a flag "Raw audio capture", described as

"Enable/Disable the usage of WASAPI raw audio capture. When enabled, the audio stream is a 'raw' stream that bypasses all signal processing except for endpoint specific, always-on processing in the Audio Processing Object (APO), driver, and hardware."

I can't see this listed in edge://flags . Is there another way to disable "Raw audio capture"?

Background - this is why I want to disable it:

- For some Lenovo laptops that have a Conexant sound-card, in a WebRTC application, using any Chromium-based browser, the microphone volume is so quiet as to be inaudible. Changing the audio driver to a generic driver makes it slightly better, but still unusable.

- In other Chromium-based browsers, disabling "Raw audio capture" solves the problem, presumably because Conexant's signal-processing boosts the volume.

- Here is a discussion of the problem, in the context of Google Meet:

https://support.google.com/meet/thread/114537938/microphone-stopped-working-for-laptops-with-conexan...

Our application is a different one, but we have the same problem.

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Andy_Bowles (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You can disable Raw audio capture by using this command line
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --disable-features=WASAPIRawAudioCapture
Would you mind to be more precise? I did it by just copy and paste both on CMD and the Run Box, but this just open another window from Edge, then I tested my mic on Meet in that windows but it didn't work, so I probably did it wrong.
I did it by changing the properties of the shortcut, then restarting Edge. It worked for me (but I decided it was too difficult to try to get our customers to do this).
Yeah, I actually figure out like an hour after I asked. It was a bit tricky but that's the only way it worked for me too lol. Thanks four your help
Hey, can you explain it more thoroughly?, I couldn't understand how to disable it using the stated steps

@samson895 

Start with a shortcut to Edge (for example, the one in the Start menu, or create a shortcut by pinning it to your taskbar).

Right-click on the shortcut and select "Properties".

In "Target", change this line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory=Default

to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory=Default --disable-features=WASAPIRawAudioCapture

Whoa, thank you very much. You saved my online interview. God bless you sir
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Andy_Bowles (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You can disable Raw audio capture by using this command line
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --disable-features=WASAPIRawAudioCapture

View solution in original post