"Download" an Office document from SharePoint Online opens the file instead

Iron Contributor

Hi all, anyone else seeing the issue when using Edge Dev and choosing to "Download" an Office document (PowerPoint, Word, etc.) from SharePoint Online, instead of it downloading the file you get the following prompt and it just opens the file instead (after you press the "open" button.)  (Note: the file I am downloading is just a PowerPoint .pptx file, I am not selecting to download a file called "download.aspx" like in the screenshot)  

Download prompt.png

Not sure exactly what version of Edge Dev this issue started in, but 

79.0.279.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)  and   Version 79.0.287.2 (Official build) dev (64-bit) both have the issue.  Version 78.0.276.2 (Official build) dev (64-bit) works as expected where the file would download and show up in the lower left corner and have to be clicked on from down there to open it (and the file is found in downloads.)

I've seen this on 3 PCs so far in our environment, and upgrading the PC on 78.0.276.2 to 79.0.279.0 broke it as well.  This works as expected with Original Edge and Google Chrome, and the older version of Edge Dev listed above.

Thanks.
3 Replies

Edge Canary, Version 79.0.291.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) does not have this issue, it downloads as expected.

@SteveSta I am running 79.0.287.2 and notice the same issue.

Upgraded to Version 79.0.294.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit) and I can now download files from SharePoint Online as expected.  Fixed.  Thanks!