Queries on Tracking Prevention

Bronze Contributor

Hi there,

I am using Tracking Prevention since yesterday, and it has been a solid addition to the privacy & security from the trackers.

I would like to ask something about that feature:

• Would the protection provided by this feature be sufficient enough to stop using a dedicated ad blocker like ABP? I have been using the DevTools to inspect that this feature is stopping all the ad domains as well, but still I'd like to ask that I do not require an ad blocker after this, right? (to make clear, I'm on Strict level).
  • Will the feature protect us against Fingerprinting? I have checked for trackers using the site: https://panopticlick.eff.org/ and it shows that the browser protects against ad, but not for fingerprinting...

After using the feature for a day, it looks like a solid addition to protect us on the web and would help me in removing the Ad blocker extension more peacefully than ever...:face_with_tears_of_joy:

Thanks!

4 Replies

@Rohit Yadav Agreed, this is a welcome addition to Edge. I would also like to know the scope of what trackers it will block. Is there a log file it creates with actions taken and on which URL's?

Firefox has a really good system built in:

Firefox Quantum Tracking Prevention parametersFirefox Quantum Tracking Prevention parameters

@Rohit Yadav "After using the feature for a day, it looks like a solid addition to protect us on the web and would help me in removing the Ad blocker extension more peacefully than ever ..."

I'm on a Dev build and so I haven't tested Tracking Protection yet, but my experience with Firefox's Enhanced Tracking Protection suggests that -- assuming that Microsoft implements Tracking Protection as intelligently as Mozilla did -- you probably won't need or want a third-party ad-blocker going forward. 

I agree that Tracking Protection is a "solid addition" to Edge Chromium from a technical standpoint, and a major selling point as well, because Google (essentially an enormous data-mining operation) has signaled that it is not likely to enable tracking protection (in any form) in the Chrome browser. 

@tomscharbach you're right...

I have tested it for many days, and now I can say that I can absolutely remove my Ad blocker without any worries...

The blocking removes all ads, trackers and invisible trackers, giving absolute peace and a noticeable decrease in page render times. It is a major selling point of Edge being on same Chromium codebase, yet very different from Google Chrome...

@Rohit Yadav "I have tested it for many days, and now I can say that I can absolutely remove my Ad blocker without any worries ..."

I'm glad to hear that, Rohit.  I'll test as soon as it is available in Dev.

One of the features/functions that I like most about the Firefox deployment is that it provides a one-click way to turn off the blocker temporarily for specific websites without making the setting persistent (that is, the blocker goes into effect each time the site is opened, but allows me to turn it off for that session) by clicking on a shield icon in the address bar.

Firefox - turn off ad blocker.jpg

That allows me to use a site without permanently disabling the blocker for that domain, as AdBlock and AdBlock Plus required me to do.  I like the level of control afforded by Firefox because sites that block ad-blockers are often risky for other reasons, and I want to be able to make a choice in each instance.  I hope that Edge Chromium's blocker will have something similar.