Provide different options for sorting favorites - Discussion

Microsoft

You can sort favorites alphabetically today in Edge. To do so, navigate to edge://favorites. Right click in the gray space to access the context menu and click on the "Sort by name". This performs a onetime sort of items in a folder. If a new item is added to the folder, it is placed at the bottom of the list. To have that item sorted into the list, perform the “Sort by name” action again.

We hear your feedback and have plans to make this option easier find within Edge and to add additional options. The Favorites team is always looking to listen to feedback and improve these experiences. Would you like to sort by name in favorites in other parts of Edge?  Are there other ways Edge can help you sort favorites?

clipboard_image_0.png

75 Replies
I also like how in Old Edge, favorites management was no-nonsense. You didn't need to put favorites in a folder, as you could keep them at the root, and simplify things. I find it useless to have to put my favorites in the "Other favorites" folder if they don't belong in the Favorites bar. Why can't they just be at the root folder, like in Old Edge?
The same side bar from Edge classic would look nice for managing favorites

@Jason_Han 

Sort by creation time, name, domain name. Would be great.

Especially to group favorites from the same website.

Example: folder with links to videos, could be nice to group by domain (youtube, dailymotion, vimeo) 

not sorting related but I think it would be nice if there were an option to exclude root folders from being searched in the omnibox so bookmarks in a reading list (for example) wouldn't show up as suggestions in the omnibox.

I completely agree with @NoahW about the first part.

In an enterprise environment the IT-department often manage a list of favorites that are mandatory for all, and then the users can add their own favorites as well. Normally we would prefer all the corporate favorites on the top as they are the ones our uses need the most - we have ususally accomplished this by naming them with a "-" as the first character.
(An even better solution would be if the favorites had a "favorites managed by your organization" section and a "favorites managed by you" section.)

The problem is every time we add a new favorite it ends up in the bottom.

So we need a group policy to enable automatic ongoing alphanumeric sorting so that no matter how many new favorites are added, they are still in an alphanumeric order.

Can you have a better design consistency and revert back to the color scheme for the favorites folder? Yellow folders are a bad color, especially on dark theme @Elliot Kirk 

There is a reason no one used yellow folders on the web.

Searching in the address bar doesn't return enough results from favorites. 3 results is too low, it should be at least 6. And as human, we search for name of favorites, not URL. The search algorithm look for URL instead of names of the favorites to provide results.

2020-01-25_17-58-53.jpg

@Elliot Kirk, one thing I don't like much about Microsoft Edge is edge://favorites in address bar. While knowing address and enter it in browser is nice feature but I don't like to see it like address bar and it would be nice if it shows professional way instead of address. Something similar to address bar in Windows Explorer.

So back to topic for Favorite sorting, I would like share the following feedbacks:

Ability to Sort A-Z and Z-A , please consider sorting for mix scenario like Arabic and Korean alphabet mix with English and options to set sorting when we have mix list of Arabic and English or other language and set first sort Arabic, then English based on alphabet vice versa and ability to set category like Arabic and list of sort and English list of sort.

We need ability for custom sorting , so user could drag and drop and sort out they way they want and save it as custom sorting and put a name for it. Let say I have my own logic and do my own sorting and want to save it as Sort 1 and Sort 2 (two different ways of sorting) with drag and drop.

Ability to sort based on date of creating favorites. 

Ability to sort based of frequently of visit, so count how many times we visit each favorite website and sort them on based on number of visit.

@Yannick Plavonil 

@Yannick Plavonil wrote:

Can you have a better design consistency and revert back to the color scheme for the favorites folder? Yellow folders are a bad color, especially on dark theme @Elliot Kirk 

There is a reason no one used yellow folders on the web.

Can't agree more!

Yellow folders need to be gone.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

Spoiler

@Reza_Ameri-Archived wrote:

one thing I don't like much about Microsoft Edge is edge://favorites in address bar. While knowing address and enter it in browser is nice feature but I don't like to see it like address bar and it would be nice if it shows professional way instead of address. Something similar to address bar in Windows Explorer.

it's not unprofessional, it's a simplified and modern way to navigate between different areas of Edge and Chrome/Chromium.

it's also easier when trying to help someone by giving them the URL to them to paste in their address bar instead of saying: "go here, then go there, then click this and click that"

you can see the full list here: edge://about/

Windows Explorer also uses the similar syntax (e.g D:\Folder\folder2\file)

@HotCakeX in Windows Explorer, when you click on the top it shows as address but when you navigate, it is different style. It is good idea to have navigation but I am referring to UI and UX and I want show it like menu instead of address and when click on it show address (like Windows Explorer).

Either way, it has nothing to do with professionalism, it's just a style. people are used to it because Chromium, Chrome and other Chromium based browsers adopted it.
Yes Windows Explorer has another style and it puts a small > between locations but it's not necessary to do the same on Edge. instead of > Edge uses a slash /, none of them is better than the other. it's just how it is.
And by Ascending and Descending for each of the above. And then add the ability to Sort below the current line or line the carat is in, this allows the ability to have a big ol pile of favorites in favorite bar and sort most but not all of them with some manually placed favorites at the top.

Would like to see the ability to simply right-click in Edge Favorites and select "Sort Alphabetically" like you can do in old Edge.

Jack 

@Jack1000 

@Jack1000 wrote:

Would like to see the ability to simply right-click in Edge Favorites and select "Sort Alphabetically" like you can do in old Edge.

Sort by name is the same as sort alphabetically

hhh.png

plus It's not something to do all the time, hence that option being here: edge://favorites/

instead of right-click, you go to favorites

@Elliot Kirk  There is no GREY area on my Win.-7-64 Dell Desktop. Do U mean to go to another web page or?

@Elliot Kirk GADS WHAT A STUPID SYSTEM. OK, It did the EDGE favorites after I copied the addy and would U BOOK LEARNED IDIOTS GET SMART AND NEVER PUT A PERIOD AFTER AN ADDRESS PLZ. Thanks. Ok Now What you need to do is copy the address and close the mail, open Edge and IF UR Lucky you will see EDGE Favorites in the middle of the screen. If U can, U can DRAG what U want to your FAVORITES FOLDER & just drop it anywhere. Now U have to go to the Little ARROW just left of FAVORITES & Right Click that. U should C SORT BY NAME > This does what we want. Sort of like hijacking EDGE to act like I-E-11  

Could you take a screenshot of the options you're referring to?

Thanks so much to everyone who provided feedback and thoughts around how to sort their favorites! We’ve recently implemented the ability to sort your favorites alphabetically via the . . . menu in the full page experience for Favorites. To do this, you can either click on the star icon in your toolbar and select Manage favorites, navigate to the . . . menu > Favorites > Manage favorites, or you can hold Ctrl+Shift+O to bring up the page.

Once on the full page experience for your Favorites in builds 83+, you will see a . . . menu at the top right. Click that, and you should see an option for Sort by name.

screenshot of the Favorites page, highlighting where the option to sort is in the menuscreenshot of the Favorites page, highlighting where the option to sort is in the menu

We believe that this covers one point of feedback for sorting favorites, however we want to know more. Does this sorting option work for you? Are there other sorting options you’d like to see in Edge? Let us know here or by providing your feedback through the feedback tool that’s built into Edge.

Is if there's a confirmation dialog when you sort by name? I might accidentally click on that and I like the way my favourites are sorted currently.

Is any work being done on the performance of the React pages? Scrolling history, downloads and favourites is painfully slow because the cards have to "load in" and I figure that find on page (not search) doesn't work well either. And Google has tried that card design before and they switched to larger cards that contain more information.

@MissyQ 

Does not work on my dell win-7-64

I have FOCUSED, INSPIRATIONAL, Informational, custom

From: Microsoft Tech Community <notify@mstechcommunity.microsoft.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 12:53 PM
To: [Mod Removed - Please do not personal information on these very public forums.]
Subject: Re: Provide different options for sorting favorites - Discussion (Microsoft Tech Community Subscription Update)

Hi RexRocky,