Provide different options for sorting favorites - Discussion

Microsoft

You can sort favorites alphabetically today in Edge. To do so, navigate to edge://favorites. Right click in the gray space to access the context menu and click on the "Sort by name". This performs a onetime sort of items in a folder. If a new item is added to the folder, it is placed at the bottom of the list. To have that item sorted into the list, perform the “Sort by name” action again.

We hear your feedback and have plans to make this option easier find within Edge and to add additional options. The Favorites team is always looking to listen to feedback and improve these experiences. Would you like to sort by name in favorites in other parts of Edge?  Are there other ways Edge can help you sort favorites?

clipboard_image_0.png

75 Replies
Please add an option to let us add separator lines in the middle of favorites and preferably make it a colorful line so we can pick up custom colors.
so like I want to have the first 100 favorites of mine to be on the Tech category and the next 20 favorites be in the movies section and so on.
I know it can be done via folders but folders all look the same.
so either do that or please allow us choose custom color and picture for our folders in favorites so they will be easier to identify.
and lastly, let the favorites sync also sync these new details as well.

Thanks

@Elliot KirkMy favorites bar is still broken. In Canary, I can't change anything (including showing only the icon) without it resetting and going back to what it was before. It is a sync problem and used to crash edge 20 seconds after I opened it every time, but thankfully that's fixed. I've had to take a few day brake because of that issue and I hope its gone now, but my point is that you need to put more emphasis on the sync problem.

@Elliot Kirk 

For me it would be more useful to sort by date added. I appreciate this information may not exist. 

My usage is reviewing old favourites with a view to removing those that are no longer needed. 

Highlighting favourites that are now broken links would potentially also be useful.

Same here..so I just fresh installed Edge insider canary, hoping all my favorites were synced but then I realized all the changes I made to my favorites in the last 4-5 days (deleting, adding etc) were not synced. the browser wasn't giving me any errors and the sync icon was always solid green.

I find that I always want my favorites sorted alphabetically. I think it would be good to have an option that, as new favorites are added, they are sorted automatically. @Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk 

I would like to have the option to sort folders recursively. It is a pain to browse through each single folder and to sort each folder individually. I have a favorites collection with approx. 2,000 items in a hierarchical folder structure. Currently I use a Chrome extension (SuperSorter) but it does not correctly handle German umlauts and certain special characters. I would prefer to have that function as a native browser feature. Maybe you want to consider sorting options like in file explorer (enable / disable numerical order). Furthermore I want an option to exclude the favorites bar, where I prefer a manual order.

The problem right now is not only sorting the favirotes, but the way to get to a favirote(s) . For example if a user is importing their favirotes from Edge;they have to open that menu scroll to "a imported from Edge" open that sub-menu to get to their favorite. This causes half of the browser interface being taken up by the favirotes menu.

The old Edge menu was simple and easy to use.

@Elliot Kirk One option I need is to ensure that even if you sort by name, that all folders sort at the top. I don't want folder mixed in with individual items. I'm guessing there are people with different preferences, so it should definitely be an option (sort folders with items, sort folders to top, sort folders to bottom).

But over-all, the things I want and need from favorites and favorites bar are mostly there... drag-and-drop to re-organize, search for an item (I have literally a thousand items, some in folders, some folders nested, some at top level, etc.), and most importantly: when I"m on a page that's in my favorites anywhere, not only should the star light up, but when I open the favorites list, it should be highlighted in that list. As an example: I have a folder with two dozen sites I check daily. I want to easily be able to open favorites and see exactly where I left off, so I can easily click the next. Obviously, I don't want the contents of that folder sorted. Sorting should be on-demand (not automatic), and should be by folder, or at the top level for everything.

@Elliot Kirk 

A sort by create time will be a nice option.

Now we can sort favorites from time order to alphabet order, but can`t get it back.

I use sprucemarks chrome extension to do that now, but I think we need this option integrated.

@Jason_Han 

@Jason_Han wrote:

@Elliot Kirk 

A sort by create time will be a nice option.

Now we can sort favorites from time order to alphabet order, but can`t get it back.

I use sprucemarks chrome extension to do that now, but I think we need this option integrated.

Exactly my thoughts!

@Elliot Kirk 

Just make Favorites work like the old Edge.  What I miss most is the ability to stick my Favorites List to the side of the browser window and work with them like files in a folder.  I have a lot of favorites across a lot of folders - making the  new Edge expandable drop-down list very tedious to use.

@Elliot Kirk Can I suggest folders are displayed in the classic desktop folder color, as the flat color scheme adds unnecessary cognitive load on the user(moi :))

@Rainier Amara 

@Rainier Amara wrote:

@Elliot Kirk Can I suggest folders are displayed in the classic desktop folder color, as the flat color scheme adds unnecessary cognitive load on the user(moi :))

Hi,

They made the change in the latest Edge canary and dev channels :)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Dev-channel-update-to-80-0-361-5-is-live/td-p/107...

• By request, favorites folders are now yellow.
Not really sure if this goes here, but I'd really love it if New Edge uses the same favorites pane system that Old Edge used. New Edge uses just one long dropdown list that looks ugly and is terrible for touchscreen devices. It also does not have a scrollbar, and is just one long scrolling list. Old Edge's favorites pane looked clean and was great for using on a touchscreen device.
I have a touchscreen laptop and I don't have any issues with the favourites/bookmarks manager (edge://favorites or chrome://bookmarks) and prefer it over Spartan's pane. Are you referring to the dropdown in the favorites/bookmarks bar that lets you see all other bookmarks that don't fit in the bar? If so, I wish that had a scrollbar too.
they are different to the file explorer icons, office, mdl2/fluent and to the onedrive icons. why couldn't they be consistent for once?!
What would that menu have?

I feel like Edge's favorite manager doesn't need one as it has a sidebar that allows for full text as opposed to buttons that show menus with the same text.
this doesn't have to do with sorting but i'm posting this here in hopes that other people see this: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/right-click-on-search-results-in-edge-favorites-t...
I'm talking about the favorites button, and the dropdown that shows when you press it. It's not as intuitive as the page system in Old Edge. Although, the full-page favorites page is nice. But not as quick as Edge's favorites pane.
ohhh. sorry. I disabled the favorites button so I just checked it out. I forgot about its existence.

Yeah, it's not like Edge's favorites pane. You can't even search from there.