Problems with Websockets in Version 81.0.381.0

Copper Contributor

The same site that I can successfully use a websocket connection with real Chrome Version 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit) and Firefox Versin 72.0.1 (64-bit) connects with Edge Chrome Version 81.0.381.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit), both dev and canary, sends one message and just stops. It only started doing this. If this is useful to anyone, great, either way there is no way I am recommending anyone use MS Chrome Edge in the near future.

9 Replies

@zawarski We're sorry to hear that you're encountering that, and thanks for letting us know! If you haven't yet, can you please try it on Chrome Canary? (It corresponds the most closely with Edge Canary, so if there's a bug in Chrome's, it may be in ours too.) If it isn't occurring there too, I will pass this directly to the correct product team.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted  I downloaded Canary Chrome, like you suggested, and the problem is happening there too. I am using Primus (https://github.com/primus/primus) as the Websocket server. Don't know if I,  or it, is doing something "non-kosher" and the Chromium engine is now sensitive to it. or if the problem is in Chromium. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Rob Zawarski

@zawarski Thanks for doing some digging, Rob. Whenever you're noticing an issue in both Edge and Chrome (especially in corresponding builds/channels,) that usually means it originated in Google's side of the Chromium Project, and thus, also happened to get incorporated into Edge's code. However, I want to make sure that we address this to our fullest capacity, so I will pass this along.

Please let us know if you encounter anything similar!

Fawkes (they/them)

@zawarski If there's a public site and repro steps, I'm happy to do the bisect to figure out when exactly this broke in Chromium, so the bug can either be fixed in the browser or on the site before 81 goes to Stable.

If you use edge://net-export, there may be interesting details in the generated log file.

I believe this is a small bug in the DevTools, not in WebSocket. See https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1041752#c10

@Eric_Lawrence  Not *that* small of a bug. It makes it impossible to monitor websocket traffic. But yes, that's it. Thanks for the reply. 

Small, in the sense that fixing it required that I delete one word from the code. The fix was checked in immediately.

@Eric_Lawrence Got it. And thanks, to you, or whoever,  for the heads-up about which Chrome Edge is using. Everyone has been informative and responsive. Completely changed my attitude about Edge. 100% recommended. 

Thanks, @Eric_Lawrence for your work on this. And @zawarski we appreciate that! :stareyes:

Fawkes (they/them)