Problems accessing sites except in InPrivate mode

Brass Contributor

I started using Edge a couple of months ago and have recently discovered that there are a couple of websites that I can only access when in InPrivate mode. They are different types of sites:

- Two of our internal Sharepoint sites only show me the backend of the site (with the components/folders), and I don't own those sites. Other Sharepoint sites I can access fine.

- Our company recognition site (not on Sharepoint). It just spins like it is trying to log me in.

- Our Concur travel and expense site. I can do my expenses and get to the travel section, but when I try to find flights, it gives me an error.

For all of these cases, they work just fine in InPrivate and in Chrome. Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks!

9 Replies

Hey there! 

Since you're seeing sites work in In Private but not in normal browsing, it's likely this is caused by an extension or a cookie/cache issue.

Do you happen to be running any extensions? Even if it seems like they wouldn't interfere with this, it's worth checking by disabling all extensions temporarily and visiting one of the sites in question. 

If that doesn't solve it, try clearing your cache/cookies and visiting the site again! (edge://settings/clearBrowserData in the address bar will bring you right there)

-

Alex Rowell (she/her)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge
Join us on Twitter, or over on Reddit in r/MicrosoftEdge or r/edge

I had previously tried clearing my cache and cookies and that didn't work. I just turned off all my extensions and that didn't work. The only one I can't turn off is the McAfee security one. That is controlled by our company.
Thanks for checking! Do you know, by chance, if other folks at your company also run into the same issue? Have you spoken to your company's IT about this?

It's worth checking if you're getting a blocked cookies notification or any other feedback for the sites above. If you click the lock next to the address you can check what permissions are set or restricted for the sites. I'd also check if you're using strict tracking prevention at edge://settings/privacy. If so, try balanced and see if you're still hitting the error.
IT is my next stop. I figured I would ask the Edge experts first. Thanks!

@AndiRobinson 

I am in the process of suffering this exact issue.

Please anyone dont start asking me to delete cache and cookies. (Sigh!) PHP gos way further than  deleted cache and cookies.

I'm a technologist, pretty high profile, and the forums I create are varied and phpbb3 running obviously via a SQL back end database.

Suddenly... for reasons I cannot fathom (and no changes have been made to systems this end)  SOME computers in our setup (not all therefore) suffer this...

We can log into the php phpbb3 forum, start to make a post , cannot upload an image even though it says it has been uploaded , cannot thereafter upload another one whereas we should be able to, nothing appears when we preview the post it crashes with a simple http error window, the PLACE INLINE image button is missing.....

This DOESNT happen when using a private window. Everything works fine.

Using a normal window the failings happen.

Across ALL browsers used on certain devices.

My issue was initially it was the devices that failed the php processing.

But after study it would seem something serverside sees something in these devices and refuses full php processing via normal browser windows.

Since 1995 when I first started out programing I have never ever seen anything like this.

Same issue. Cleared cache and cookies, no extensions. Edge can login a few sites in InPrivate mode only.

@NielArmstrong 

I am presently experiencing the issue you are with links not working except in Private Mode. Well, on my server I had an .htaccess file, which contained the following:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?givehopeguatemala\.org$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://givehopeguatemala.org/$1 [L,R=301]
</IfModule>

I removed this file and access to the links returned to normal in standard web windows.

I did not write this file myself, it is something I found some years ago.

Cheerio, David Beck.

I have had this same issue with realestate.com.au in both Edge and Chrome. Turns out it was the extension called "Ruffle - Flash Emulator". No clue why though. Hope that helps someone!

You can also try this (Reset Settings to Default in Microsoft Edge):

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/reset-settings-to-default-in-microsoft-edge.12096