SOLVED

Problem with favorites bar

Copper Contributor

Am I the only one having problem with favorites bar in the latest version of Edge dev? Every time I edit something in favorites (delete favorite,show icon only) its reverts back after I re-open Edge dev it was fine before the update.
Thanks

11 Replies
best response confirmed by nimitz1156 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
no you're not alone,
"show Icon only" currently is not registered in sync servers so every time that Edge insider periodically checks with favorites sync server, it reverts them back.
It's happening for me as well as lots of others that have posted about this before.

"delete favorites" issue is also related. I even lost some of my favorites thinking that Edge automatically synced all of them but I shouldn't have trusted the green icon.

obvious sync needs so much improvements so my suggestion is to regularly make a backup of your favorites into an HTML file from Edge settings: edge://favorites/
or use another stable browser such as Google chrome as your back up storage
Same issues here--are there plans to include this in sync servers?
Not as far as i know, but I hope so.
in the latest change log for Dev (which is the closest thing we can get), they say they disabled favorites sync completely...
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Dev-channel-update-to-80-0-334-2-is-live/m-p/1018...

@nimitz1156 Same issue here, playing on my OCD. 

@nimitz1156 

Mine do not change.  I may recall it happening once, but, that would have been quite a long time ago.

Cheers,
Drew

Sync is broken

Annotation 2019-11-30 071048.png

Beta is the only browser that doesn't have sync issues, in my experience. It is behind in terms of features, but changes you make there will sync to the others, but deleted ones will still appear, so you have to manually.

Yeah that's true, it's as if Beta has its own sync servers

@HotCakeX For me, the problem started in Can, then showed up in Dev after an update, which makes me think that they made a change to the servers or the way it processes information. Or they might just be focusing all their efforts on Beta since their going to release a stable in January(too early please wait 6 months).

Yeah for real...I don't see any point in rushing it, no one is forcing Microsoft (other than Microsoft themselves) to release their browser at that state.

Had that problem. Deleted the text the "old fashioned" way by using "edit" and deleting the text. So far, so good, but if it returns, I will simply type a period (dot) in the text box which should not eat up too much space.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by nimitz1156 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
no you're not alone,
"show Icon only" currently is not registered in sync servers so every time that Edge insider periodically checks with favorites sync server, it reverts them back.
It's happening for me as well as lots of others that have posted about this before.

"delete favorites" issue is also related. I even lost some of my favorites thinking that Edge automatically synced all of them but I shouldn't have trusted the green icon.

obvious sync needs so much improvements so my suggestion is to regularly make a backup of your favorites into an HTML file from Edge settings: edge://favorites/
or use another stable browser such as Google chrome as your back up storage

View solution in original post