SOLVED

Problem when entering fullscreen mode on YouTube

Silver Contributor

From many days I am seeing that sometimes when I try to enter fullscreen mode on YouTube, a weird thing occurs, the browser does not go to fullscreen mode, stays in windowed mode and the video shows a very weird resolution which appears to be a square on the screen.

2020-05-23.png

I have also sent feedback about this issue through the in-app feedback tool (Alt+Shift+I) in Microsoft Edge.

40 Replies

@TheShaunSaw  I also encountered the same problem. Hope to fix it soon!

I hope that this issue is fixed before Edge ver. 84 is released out to the stable version.

Thank you both for reaching out. This is a known issue that we're tracking and looking into internally. It sounds like @TheShaunSaw has already submitted feedback for this, but @俊伟 黄, it would be great if you can send us diagnostic data too (Shift+Alt+I.)

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

I've also been seeing this for a while in Youtube however today was the first time I experienced it on a different site - this time it was when trying to see a Facebook photo in fullscreen.

I've sent feedback with diagnostics on that.

I would also add that the issue with Youtube doesn't happen every time, I don't think it fixes itself by restarting the browser but I think it doesn't happen immediately after a fresh restart of the computer (haven't really tested to be honest, it's just my gut feel)

Edit: it seems at least with Facebook the issue is resolved by closing and reopening the browser and then navigating to the page again (I just copy & pasted the address, didn't try reopening the tab)

@Rui Palhinhas Good to know! Thanks for submitting feedback, and I'm glad to hear that you found a resolution.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@俊伟 黄 Same issue ( Edge canary 85), fixed disabling hardware acceleration ( edge://settings/system ).

Same issue here here with Dev 85 but strangely, this issue happens with my Surface Pro 3 and not with my Lenovo L480! weird....

@Diogo Sousa   Me too, it was fixed when I disabled HW acceleration.

On Surface Pro 7

@俊伟 黄 But what do you lose without hardware acceleration.

@TheShaunSaw I didn't encountered that problem, It's working fine for me on Version 84.0.522.40 (Official build) (64-bit) having enabled the hardware acceleration also, maybe it's related to your laptop or You Tube itself

In fact this happens with my Surface Pro 3 and not with my Lenovo L480!

Same problem in Edge v.85.0.564.13 (dev build).

best response confirmed by TheShaunSaw (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@TheShaunSaw 

Appears fixed in Canary 86.0.590.

Just updated Edge to 85.0.564.17 and not yet corrected.

Still only happens with Surface Pro 3 for me.

Let's hope for the next build :)

Second post above yours told that they have fixed it in 86 version canary
Sorry didn't noticed that.

Once try pressing F11 during that glitch @Diogo Sousa 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TheShaunSaw (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@TheShaunSaw 

Appears fixed in Canary 86.0.590.

View solution in original post