possible issue wirh edge dev and youtube

Steel Contributor

I have an Issue with Youtube using latest edge dev channel.

For some strange reason I can't "right click" and choose open in new tab on videos using touch.

It works on every other page I have tested.

Since it works with classic edge on the same page is not a 100% youtube issue either.

3 Replies

Hi @matsmcp, this is a YouTube specific issue, as far as I can tell.  The right click menu does not show up in either Edge Dev, or Chrome.  I am not sure if this is a browser issue, or a site decision.  Thanks for letting us know, but I am not sure that their is anything that we can do here.

Elliot

@Elliot Kirk 

I have done some more research and it is matter of who should be allowed to decide.

Youtube do try to prevent the context menu.

Chromium based browsers do honor this by default letting Google decide what you should be allowed to do with your computer.

Mozilla, caring more about the users integrity allows the user to configure the browser so that a webpage can't hijack the right click (about.config and dom.event.contextmenu.enabled)

So you can do what Mozilla have done and provide a way to prevent the webpage from hijacking the menu and giving the Users control over the browser. I belive that is a lot better than having Google controlling a MS browser

@Elliot Kirk 

Did some more digging.

Classic Edge also prevents this hijacking from taking place.

It get's the same script sent to it but it ignores it and gives the user the right click menu