Please bring "Set Tabs Aside" to New Edge

Steel Contributor

As a student, I used the Set Tabs Aside feature all the time. It's one of the reasons I used Edge over Chrome in a Google-heavy school. That habit of setting tabs aside has followed me after school, and it has proven useful time and again. 

So please bring this feature over. Annotation 2019-04-08 100411.jpgThis feature has helped define Edge. 

EDIT: 
It would also be super amazing to bring Set Tabs Aside to the cloud.

99 Replies

Any official statement here? It's a must have for research.

ITNOA

I think it is very useful and productive feature, and I strongly suggest sync tabs aside list into all edges in platforms such as Windows, Android and etc, with helping one drive.

in addition it is very important to seamless moving tabs aside list ( history ) from legacy edge to new edge during upgrade.
Sadly I don't think it will happen. MS are being quite lazy and not implementing many features that aren't present in Chrome. Just view new Edge as a re-skinned Chrome.

@sambul95 The OneTab extension is really nice. Thanks for the suggestion. I still would like to see Set Tabs Aside with cloud support to set them aside on my desktop and open them on either my Surface, Note 8, or iPad Pro. 

@ej_6612  This is actually the main reason why I use edge instead of Firefox. Their new update was incredible, but I found myself missing a lot of features from edge, mainly set tabs aside, but also the draw on any webpage feature. Some friends of mine use Edge exclusively for those features and go to chrome or Firefox for everything else. Those features are what made Edge attractive and if they aren't brought over, Microsoft may find many users saying goodbye. I'm only saying this to stress the importance of keeping the browsers identity.

I am also one of the people who got used to that great feature that presents the old edge, it would be very good to reconsider bringing that feature back, it is very useful in many fields.

I also missed this feature, although using very little, was one of the differentials of the edge, I would like to put a system to highlight one or all tabs, and another to choose which pages to store instead of all.@ej_6612 

Agreed, Tabs Aside is one of the most innovative and useful features of not only Edge, but of browsers in general.

@ej_6612 

Allegedly, it is coming.  Do not have an ETA.  (Except) It has been suggested that all what we consider 'standard equipment' will be in Edge C by the time of its release.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@ej_6612 

Set Aside tabs has been "under review" status for few weeks now. I really hope the Edge team confirm that it's coming to the Edge insider browser. it's a unique feature.

meanwhile i have to use this feature which is quite messy but gets the job done

Annotation 2019-09-11 123331.png

I can see Apple bringing it to Safari and claiming they wanted to make Safari innovative so they decided to bring a new feature, iBrowse. It syncs your tabs via iCloud to all your devices. Park your tabs on your iPad Pro and magically open them on your MacBook. It's a magically and truly unique feature and everyone will clamor over it.

Seriously though, when/if it does actually make the cut and doesn't get canned in planning, they need cross device syncing of this feature. And not slow like Timeline. If they have to spend a little more time to have cross device syncing when launched I'm for it.
I don't know whether or not Microsoft copyrighted the Set Tabs Aside feature but Apple is being a copycat here. Edge has had this feature for years and I don't think Microsoft will release a stable version of this new Edge insider browser without adding that feature first.

I don't understand the part when you said Timeline is slow. what do you mean exactly?
Some people, not necessarily here, say that's what Timeline and Favorites are for and we don't need Tabs Set Aside. Timeline takes too long to show me on other devices the websites I was on. That's what I meant. If I set tabs aside, I want to be able to pickup another device and continue without waiting more than a minute.
When i use the old Edge to visit web pages, the history of them adds to the Timeline, not sure how fast but I never noticed any delays. though i know that Timeline is not meant to be used for transferring open tabs between Desktop and Android or IOS.
Microsoft is adding Open tabs sync which will be the same like Google chrome, set tabs aside can be a complimentary feature. you're right it's possible to do the same with favorites. but you know..sometimes for example I have like 12 open tabs about a subject and some of them seem important to me but i don't have the time or don't want to go through all of them to check which ones i want to keep forever (in my favorites list) and which ones i just wanna read and pass. so with set tabs aside i just temporary put them there for later when i want to review them. that's my idea of using set tabs aside, maybe others have different use case for it :)

I don't use Timeline but I do use Task View for virtual desktops. Task View was rewritten in 1803 for Timeline support but it ruined Task View. It's slow and buggy. It takes forever to open on middle-range computers, let alone slow ones. The animations are buggy and the layout sucks. It's like how Microsoft rewrote the keyboard in 1709. The touch keyboard still hasn't recovered and neither has task view :( task view impacts me quite a lot but I can use a 4 finger swipe on my laptop thankfully.

@ej_6612 Agreed, Microsoft need to bring it back.  There is a place for Favourites and a place for tabs to set aside to read later, this was one of my favourite features of Edge.

Maybe, some of the toolbar features of HTML will be in Edge later as it receives its updates. But, specifically regarding items like Reading List and Set Aside, the idea or intent may be that Collections will serve the purpose, in future.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile

@Drew1903 have since found two Chrome extensions which I am using to see which is best to fill the void. I have attached a screenshot of these extensions if you want to try them.

@ej_6612 Honestly there's literally no point in me using edge without this feature. Is there any way to downgrade back to the previous edge version?

@Isaac_J_Somebody Find a computer that hasn't upgraded yet. Maybe you can do a factory reset?