Please bring "Set Tabs Aside" to New Edge

Steel Contributor

As a student, I used the Set Tabs Aside feature all the time. It's one of the reasons I used Edge over Chrome in a Google-heavy school. That habit of setting tabs aside has followed me after school, and it has proven useful time and again. 

So please bring this feature over. Annotation 2019-04-08 100411.jpgThis feature has helped define Edge. 

EDIT: 
It would also be super amazing to bring Set Tabs Aside to the cloud.

99 Replies

@ej_6612 I hope they do, but also import the your existing set aside tabs as well.

@ej_6612 Agreed.  I'd say this is the most iconic feature of Edge, and while I'm exicted to see MS shift to a chromium base, I find myself imediately missing that feature.

Set tabs aside was my favorite feature from the original Edge. I'm sure such a major feature is being planned for a future release.
Low prio for enterprise/corporate.

@ej_6612 -- I also love Set Tabs Aside and can't wait for the implementation (hopefully). However, there is a short term work around. After you close an Edge window with multiple tabs, it is saved in history along with all the tabs you had open. Go to history and look under recently closed. You'll find items listed only as "5 tabs" or however many tabs were open when the window was closed. Just click on 5 Tabs or whatever has the right number of tabs. A window will pop open with all your tabs. In my case, I keep two windows side by side. One has 5 tabs, the other 6.

At night, I just close the windows without worrying about anything. The next morning, when I launch Edge, I get one of the two windows I had closed the night before. It pops up at the right location.  Then I go to history and click on the item I want (named after the number of tabs it holds). A second window pops up with the rest of my tabs.

They should organize the tabs set aside into topics, somehow.
Yeah! Set Tabs Aside feature is actually pretty useful. It would be amazing indeed to have cloud integration, means that we can sync with other devices and even to other OS with Edge installed. This is especially true now since the new Edge Chromium will be cross-platform.

It would be nice also if we can rename the Set Aside Tabs for better organization and able to search them.

Timeline support for Set Aside Tabs would be great too for easier and centralize access even when Edge is not opened.

I believe Set Tabs Aside can really make Edge stand-out from other web browsers that is actually useful.
Option to disable it, if implemented, for those who doesn't want a browser full of everything and nothing
yes as an optional thing would be good cuz i don't use it much

@ej_6612 Totally agree, this feature increased the productivity of the browser a lot.

@ej_6612  ha escrito:

As a student, I used the Set Tabs Aside feature all the time. It's one of the reasons I used Edge over Chrome in a Google-heavy school. That habit of setting tabs aside has followed me after school, and it has proven useful time and again. 

So please bring this feature over. Annotation 2019-04-08 100411.jpgThis feature has helped define Edge. 

EDIT: 
It would also be super amazing to bring Set Tabs Aside to the cloud.

@ej_6612 

I like this feature, too but it would be great to get more customization to this feature, too like in the chrome extension onetab. There I can make more then one group. I can lock a group and rename the group. You can send a tab to a created group if you want.

@ej_6612Tab Snooze (Chrome Extension Page) is what I settled on and I'm not sure I'll go back to the Set Tabs Aside unless they add some of the Tab Snooze flexibility to it.

That would be super helpful. At work, I use the edge because of this feature. I have much Tab groups to a different topic. 8)

@ej_6612 

Fully agreed. Out of all the features that might not come back, this one deserves to come back the most. Please listen to this microsoft and bring back set tab aside. It was incredibly great to use and it was baked into edge itself.

Once I added Set Tabs Aside to my workflow, it became something I use daily. Not having it kind of messed up my workflow while using Edge Dev. For those who didn't use it, an option to disable it would be welcome. However, I think it should be enabled by default so others could potentially stumble upon it and realize how useful it actually is.

@jearley07 

Install OneTab extension for now. :)

Add me to the list of folks who desperately want this feature to return. It was a huge reason for me to make Edge my primary browsing. I really like the screen drawing component as well. I found both of these things to be invaluable in personal and corporate settings.

I *personally* have yet to see a reason to use set aside tabs. I bookmark all of my tabs using ctrl + shift + d and additionally use sleep and hibernate (while keeping my tabs open). I'm not saying that this may replace set aside tabs but it's a workaround. By the way you can select multiple tabs by holding shift and even group them

Edit: I'm also a student

@sambul95 I'll try it out. Thanks!

@pneenkoalabear I view bookmarks as long term storage and Set Tabs Aside was my short term tab group storage. Allows me to keep that separate easily. Before that, my bookmarks were getting out of control.