Please bring "Set Tabs Aside" to New Edge

Steel Contributor

As a student, I used the Set Tabs Aside feature all the time. It's one of the reasons I used Edge over Chrome in a Google-heavy school. That habit of setting tabs aside has followed me after school, and it has proven useful time and again. 

So please bring this feature over. Annotation 2019-04-08 100411.jpgThis feature has helped define Edge. 

EDIT: 
It would also be super amazing to bring Set Tabs Aside to the cloud.

99 Replies

@xunderworldx Completely agree.

I think we need at least a provisional response from the Microsoft team on status and expected time to delivery.

the old edge was one click to set aside all table. i Think that sometimes new "ideas" are not necessarily for the benefit of the vast majority of the users (consumer, normal people) but are just pastimes of "developers/programmers" who talk to the same circle of people and think that such circle or club is representative of the millions and millions of people using Microsoft software.

There was objectively NO REASON to take away the simple "set aside table" button; yes, there is always space for improvement but to improve means - or should mean - making improvements for the users/consumer, not just for the techno-nerds. Another example could be "History"; before it was a simple matter of clicking on the icon [Star&bars] and select Favourite or History, now one has to open the menu] scroll and click History and then Manage History and instead of an easy to scroll list [old version] one is transferred to a new tab - nice, apparently it is a small change but in practice it is not so as the same could have been obtained by leaving the history menu where it was rather than - once again - having to learn the new procedure to get the result. Not a big deal but tell this to my mother, my wife and the other millions of users who use the browser. Changes are welcome but they should be aimed at simplifying procedures and I cannot see how these two examples are actually achieving a simplification of an old procedure.   @HotCakeX 

@Mostropovich 

Spoiler

@Mostropovich wrote:

the old edge was one click to set aside all table. i Think that sometimes new "ideas" are not necessarily for the benefit of the vast majority of the users (consumer, normal people) but are just pastimes of "developers/programmers" who talk to the same circle of people and think that such circle or club is representative of the millions and millions of people using Microsoft software.

There was objectively NO REASON to take away the simple "set aside table" button; yes, there is always space for improvement but to improve means - or should mean - making improvements for the users/consumer, not just for the techno-nerds. Another example could be "History"; before it was a simple matter of clicking on the icon [Star&bars] and select Favourite or History, now one has to open the menu] scroll and click History and then Manage History and instead of an easy to scroll list [old version] one is transferred to a new tab - nice, apparently it is a small change but in practice it is not so as the same could have been obtained by leaving the history menu where it was rather than - once again - having to learn the new procedure to get the result. Not a big deal but tell this to my mother, my wife and the other millions of users who use the browser. Changes are welcome but they should be aimed at simplifying procedures and I cannot see how these two examples are actually achieving a simplification of an old procedure.   @HotCakeX 

No one said there is not going to be a set tabs aside button. it's simply not available yet.

@xunderworldx 

Spoiler

@xunderworldx wrote:

So I tested collections on the beta version, and I can't add all tabs to a collection at once. You have to do one page at a time, that is ridiculous. Also it wont remember that you have closed out of some tabs and added ones unless you add yet again another collection. They really really need to bring back the "set these tabs aside". I sent feedback, but if everyone can send the same feedback perhaps they will listen.

the ability to add all open tabs to a collection is only available on Dev and Canary channels, soon it will come to Beta and then stable.

Thanks. Let's see if it will become available.

@HotCakeX Edge for Android might be better, but I was referring to windows powered tablets and laptops that fold backwards.

Set aside tabs is the defining feature of classic edge browser which I use all the time.

New Chromium Edge getting access to all the tabs that I have set aside in the classic edge is not enough.

I will not switch to the new chromium edge willingly because Collections can only be a replacement for set aside tabs IF a feature is added where all current tabs are added to a collection. Right now adding to a collection is only per single tab. The purpose of the set aside tabs feature is to quickly return browser to a clean slate for a different task and later just as quickly return to the previous state by restoring the tabs. Collections doesn't currently handle that.

My biggest worry is that Microsoft will soon prompt users to switch to the chromium edge forcefully and i don't want to loose the set aside tabs feature. Please address my concern @ej_6612 

Guys i am updating my response on 27th May 2020 Wednesday on set aside tabs feature and the fear of loosing it on the new chromium edge,

read it here- https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/please-bring-quot-set-tabs-aside-quot-to-new-edge...

@CalcioMilano If you're worried about being forced over, there is a blocker toolkit to prevent it from being installed via windows update. You can find some details here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/deployedge/microsoft-edge-blocker-toolkit

@ej_6612 

Even I used it pretty productively. I too want the "set aside tabs" feature back. This happened with just one click. However, the latest update has "collections" which require to set aside tabs while visiting each page over and over. It is so annoying. It has a special feature of writing notes, for a long run it is very good but not when you are in a hurry. The saddest part is that, all my previously "set aside tabs" have been deleted with the latest update. It would be great if they implement both the features in the coming update.

I thought there was a migration of Set Aside Tabs to new Edge?

If that wasn't the case, then they should before they finally push this automatically to all users. Just automatically put them in the Collections.
Unfortunately I have the same issues. I was update Microsoft Edge to new Chromium-based Edge. I lost all my group aside tabs from old Microsoft Edge. How i can recover back to previous Microsoft Edge with all my group aside tabs?

@fgawinson and @archtech 

Good news: all of the tabs that you set aside should have been migrated to this folder in your Favorites (Ctrl+Shift+O.) Let us know if you don't see them!

fawkes_0-1589835428318.png

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

Hi fawkes, thank for your reply.

Unfortunately, nothing in my Favorites & Other favorites folder.

Please advice any solution to recover?

fgawinson_0-1589908018596.png

Unfortunately I have the same issues. I was update Microsoft Edge to new Chromium-based Edge. I lost all my group aside tabs from old Microsoft Edge. How i can recover back to previous Microsoft Edge with all my group aside tabs?

@fgawinson Interesting... thanks for sharing that screenshot. A couple of questions:

1. By a fluke chance, it's not located under the "Favorites bar" folder, correct?
  2. Are you using MS Edge on multiple machines or different channels of it (Canary, Dev, Beta, Stable??
  3. Have you submitted detailed feedback and diagnostic data for this? If not, we'd love to look at it! Feel free to send me a DM and I can give you a code to include to help it get to the right team faster.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted 

My answer about your questions:

1. Favorites & Others Favorite folder is empty

2. I only using MS Edge on one machine version 81.0.416.72 (Official build).

3. I didn't submit feedback and diagnostic data, I do search google and come to here look for help.

My question isn't it I do system restore I can recover back my previous MS Edge with all the tabs aside back? Since I have quite a lot tabs aside in group, It's important for me, I wish to get back all my group tabs. 

@CalcioMilano 

Guys innitially i was skeptical about updating my legacy edge browser to the new chromium edge browser out of fear of losing set tabs aside feature. But as i read more about the new collections feature of chromium edge and finally decided to update to the new chromium edge browser after manually taking a backup of all the set aside tabs which i feared could be lost after the update (although it is not required as you'll read further).

After updating i found all my set aside tabs and reading list tabs in the other favorites folder(present at the end) of the favorites tab. Also after using the collections feature i realized that it is designed to be more convenient than the set aside feature on the classic edge.

Read this to know how-https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/set-aside-tab-feature-collection-added-to-edge-in...

(credits @HotCakeX )   

And no need to worry about not being able to add all current tabs to a collection in one click. With the new Microsoft Edge Version 83.0.478.37 being pushed to all the users "add all tabs to new collection" functionality is incorporated as well.

set asideSharedScreenshot.jpg

all tabs to a new collection_LI.jpg

Happy browsing.

I feel like were getting nowhere with the effort to have this added. Anyone have any new information on this?

@xunderworldx 

"I feel like were getting nowhere with the effort to have this added."- That is because now there is no need to get it added to New Edge.

Want to know why? Read my detailed answer here- https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/please-bring-quot-set-tabs-aside-quot-to-new-edge...

My problem with not having set tabs aside, is with collections, you can't save the modified collection.. So often the workflows I work on change with closed tabs and new tabs..

With collections I cannot update the collection, I have to add a new one and then name it. I then have to delete the old one... 

Please add it back and like others said, make a feature to allow them to be accessed from other devices.

@CalcioMilano