PLEASE add a 'Clear History on Exit" function to Edge Chromium

Brass Contributor

Hi all,

This is really a MUST ... I cannot understand why Google won't add this to Chrome - this is the single reason for me still using FireFox ...

I love the new Edge Chromium browser - but I won't be using it if it cannot have the simple function to clear all history on exit (including 'recently closed tabs' ....) ..... and I am pretty sure this is the same for a lot of users. Just make it a configurable choice - pretty please ;)

Cheers,
StoneT

31 Replies

You are correct.  It is mostly from the 6 extensions I have installed...  Here are a couple of pictures, first with no extensions and 2nd with the 6 extensions installed and working...

No extensionsclear on exit settings 9.jpg

with all 6 extensionsclear on exit settings 10.jpg

Never had given it a thought that the extensions would have so many cookies and such..  

Thanks

Dennis5mile

@ShirleyNg 

@StoneT 

Hi,

I see Edge Chromium has reached Beta.

How have you got on with it and clearing history etc., I have yet to move from Firefox.

Ed.

@EdUK2019 

Hiya,

It works just fine now ... also in the Beta :smile:

Cheers,

StoneT

Is there a way to set this via Group Policy? I haven't found a corresponding option there to delete every or something on browser exit.

@EdUK2019  Clear on exit works fine in both Dev and Beta Channels.  It isn't the easiest setting to find, but it works.

Settings, Privacy and Services, Clear Browsing History, then Choose what to clear every time you close the browser.  When you finally get there, the choices are reasonably granular:

Clear on Exit.jpg

Still has an issue even with the clear history on close set.  After exiting and opening again at a later time.  the last opened tab is shown.  It should only show the selected home page and close all tabs from a previous session.

@GlennR1490 which version of Edge are you running? We recently made some improvements to Edge85 which should be coming soon! 

@ShirleyNg 

This is not a new issue.  Simply go to a few web pages.  Close the app.  Reopen the app and the last tab will appear and not the designated home page.

Do you mind going to edge://settings/help and recording the version number from there? Also do you have any settings like "Continue where I left off" enabled inside settings?

@GlennR1490 

I already gave the version from "about this app" and it is the latest from 3 days ago.  Attempting to use any edge://***** url will fail with an " invalid url" error.

In any event, I did have " pickup where you left off" set so the issue with displaying the last tab is resolved.
However, even with " clear on exit" set, my history is still displayed when I click on History.

@GlennR1490 Deeply sorry for the late response but I did want to let you know I filed a bug to investigate. When you close the app, are you using the "Exit browser" button in the "..." menu? This should kickoff a modal that warns you data will be cleared. 

@StoneT   For some reason, when I close a website, it doesn't appear in my browser history. I didn't make any setting changes so it must have been from an update. I do not want to have my brower history cleared and cannot find any explanation that I can understand to make this happen. thx