pinned vertical tabs button at top and reverse tabs

Copper Contributor

Now vertical tabs button jumps up and down when you click, make it pinned at top-left of edge maybe a better solution.

button.png

and newer tabs go down as open order. it makes new tab button moving too. If we reverse the order, make newer tabs at top, it will be more comfortable and humanful. 

tabs.png

  

现在垂直标签页按钮会在上下两个位置跳来跳去,实际上完全可以让它固定在edge左上角,点击时只切换标签页不改变按钮位置。

另外,现在垂直标签会按打开顺序,越新越靠下。如果反序,让新建标签页按钮最上,新打开的标签在上,旧标签页在下,可能更符合视觉逻辑也更易用。

6 Replies
Hi,
are you talking about vertical tab icon or tabs in vertical tabs sidebar? because tabs are the ones that usually jump around, not the vertical tab icon itself, it's fixed.
I completely agree. It makes much more sense to have the new tab button at the top of the vertical tab list, and the tabs in 'reverse' order so the oldest would be at the bottom. Otherwise you can't see the latest ones - you have to continually scroll down to see them. And you can't see the new tab button if there are lots of tabs. Please provide the option to choose having the new tab button at the top, and an option to have the tabs with the newest at the top please - ie reverse order - what would be on the left in the horizontal position, at the bottom, not the top, on the vertical position.
Ok the new tab button doesn't entirely fall off the end but it is right at the bottom of the page. Surely it would be better to have the 'Turn off vertical tabs' button at the bottom, and the new tabs button at the top.
Or leave the vertical tabs button where it is on the top toolbar. Why move it's position at all?

@szthanatosI'd love to see this change!

In vertical-tab mode, I agree, I'd like to see sites listed most-recently opened at the top, and oldest-opened at the bottom; likewise, in horizontal-tab mode the newest should be the leftmost tab, and the oldest the rightmost tab: so instead of the current 1-2-3-4 order, it should be 4-3-2-1.

Even Internet Explorer offered such an option:

IE11_OpenTabNextToCurrent.png

@dftf-wip 

I have been searching the web for a way to implement this and came across this post which is from 2021.

I don't work at Microsoft and do not know the limitations to implementing such a feature, however, I can say that Vertical Tabs as they are is already great, and adding this feature would truly make it remarkable. I have recently ditched Firefox a while now and Edge is my main browser across all devices. I love vertical tabs however it is awkward that the new tabs are placed at the bottom (yes I know you can still use it that way) but I just believe it makes more sense to have every new tab open at the top of the vertical sidebar and the older ones move to the bottom. Its just better that way. Or at least add the option to toggle. This original post is more than a year and MS has totally ignored it. I dont expect MS to incorporare everything that users wants thats impossoible, but genuinely beneficial adjustments should be considered.  Thanks with the hope that this will be considered.