SOLVED

Pining webpages to Win 10 Start

Copper Contributor

The legacy version of Edge had the option to Pin a Web page to Start in the More menu.  This was on of the first level options.  It was then moved to a second level of options.  Now, in the Chromium version it has been moved to Install as an App.  Having web pages available on the Win 10 start screen is a VERY easy way and productive way to launch a web page that is used frequently.  The Taskbar becomes to cluttered when you have program icons that are used daily beside web pages that are used monthly.  I work with a lot of senior groups and placing critical web pages for banking, medical, news, etc.  Having the web page one click on Start is very helpful to these individuals.  From my perspective Start was designed to be a quick way to open Apps. Program, Files, Website, etc. and it hasn't been used or understood by many.  MS needs to return to incorporating this into Edge Chromium as a first level option as a first level option as Pin to Start and not as an obscure set of actions.  Which currently are Install as an App > proceed to All Apps > right click on App > Pin to Start. 

10 Replies

Hi,

You said that pinning websites to taskbar would make that area cluttered, but automatically pinning website to Start menu will do exactly the same to that area.

currently it is Super Easy to Pin a website you install as app to start menu.

it automatically shows up on the top of the recently added list on Start menu and all you have to do is right-click and choose Pin to start.

fsdfsd.png

the whole process takes few seconds, no more.

Edge can't ever know what user's intention and preference is, whether you want to Pin the installed app to taskbar or Start menu, so I think it's something that users should do manually based on their preference.

in enterprises, this can be automatically done using policies, no manual action needed.

@HotCakeX 

I agree, IF you understand that a Web page can come from an App and go through the process of "installing an App" from the Edge menu.  However, the people I work with don't understand that relationship.  A simple menu option of "Pin this page to Start" is much more understandable and direct.  Yes, the Start can become cluttered; however, you can arrange the Tiles into groups so you can find them easier.  

best response confirmed by oldlaurs155 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Right, i understand

I also agree with you, i think in the ellipsis menu -> more tools, there needs to be the option that you want added which is "pin to start menu", right above the "pin to taskbar"

fdsfds.png

Yes, This would be a great addition to the menu

@oldlaurs155 Thanks for reaching out. and welcome to the MS Edge Insider community! I'd love to pass along your suggestion for the "pin to start" team. So that they have more info, can you give us more detail on exactly how this would help you (or others) with your productivity?

@HotCakeX Thanks for the screenshots!

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

I use Start as a home page similar to what an Android, iPhone, iPad, and Android tablet is used for.  This allows me to set-up less skilled PC users an easy access to web pages for doing their banking, and health related on-line efforts. I work with a lot of seniors and they have problems with navigating through menus,  I can organize the tiles into groups such as Finance, Health portals, Local community site,s etc.  This eliminates having to dig down through a favorites menu, which tend to become cluttered.

For my personal productivity I also pin folders to Start, which gives direct access without going through File Explorer to a “third or fourth level” file folder.  I also have a section for less used program shortcuts.  This gets all the clutter off the Desktop and makes then more visable. Home Screen.png

The image is my Start which has a number of duplicates because some cane with the conversion to Edge Chromium and then pinning after the installation.    It has a lot of tiles but they can be grouped, organized, added, removed and moved easily with just mouse actions. The majority are Web pages.  When Edge was first introduced the “Pin to start” was on the main More menu.  This was easy and the terminology easily understood.  This apparently was a carry over from Win 8 and 8.1 which was needed on the Metro screen.  The current method of setting a web page as an App is very confusing and then requires additional steps.  The taskbar and Favorites bar simply don’t have enough space for many shortcuts.  My general recommendation to my students is 1. Use it more than once a week, Pin to Taskbar.  2. Use it once a month, Pin it to Start.   3. Less frequent sites can be in favorites. For the Finance sites this give a single clean page that I can close after use.

Larry Laursen

Surprise, AZ

Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 4:53 PM
To: oldlaurs@outlook.com
Subject: fawkes mentioned you in Microsoft Tech Community

Hi oldlaurs155,

fawkes (Microsoft) mentioned you in a post! Join the conversation below:

Re: Pining webpages to Win 10 Start

@oldlaurs155 Thanks for reaching out. and welcome to the MS Edge Insider community! I'd love to pass along your suggestion for the "pin to start" team. So that they have more info, can you give us more detail on exactly how this would help you (or others) with your productivity?

Fawkes (they/them)

Surprise, AZ

Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 4:53 PM
To: oldlaurs@outlook.com
Subject: fawkes mentioned you in Microsoft Tech Community

Hi oldlaurs155,

fawkes (Microsoft) mentioned you in a post! Join the conversation below:

Re: Pining webpages to Win 10 Start

Fawkes (they/them)

Microsoft Tech Community sent this message to oldlaurs@outlook.com.
You are receiving this email because you were @mentioned and the message matches your subscription to a topic.

To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settings or unsubscribe.

Microsoft Tech Community sent this message to oldlaurs@outlook.com.
You are receiving this email because you were @mentioned and the message matches your subscription to a topic.

To control which emails we send you please go to, manage your subscription & notification settings or unsubscribe.

@Deleted 

I wanted to add to my previous reply. First sorry for the duplicate entry above.  I am new to this forum.

The image of my start didn't show before, so am trying again.

Home Screen.png

Second I would like to add that the current operation to make a "site" and App defeats the convenience of the "Pin this page to Start"  I much prefer pinning individual web pages than sites.  I typically have 2-4 pages on a site that are most important to me and I wanted pinned to direct access.  When making a App for the site one must than use the site navigation to get to the individual page which may be several clicks away.  I have discovered that once a site is an App you can add pages on the site to Start.

@oldlaurs155 

@oldlaurs155 Thank you for the details! I chatted with the team and they said they are actively tracking this feature suggestion and would pass along any updates if/when they have them!

Fawkes (they/them)

Thanks for listening.  To me Start has been bashed by many and the opp-out is to use the Desktop which doesn't offer the options of Start.   I was just doing Tech Help in our community and people don't know about Start or how they can use it.  They have shortcuts scattered all over the Desktop.

@Deleted 

Yes, please put back (not add it, put back something that was removed) "Pin to Start".

Why? Because I want it. I'm not going to get into some useless argument about why I think one thing and you think another. 

I found it very useful, it was removed, please put it back.

PS I tried the "install as app" thing. OMFG! It opened up a popup window with all the controls missing and I had to dig into system folders to remove it :( / facepalm.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by oldlaurs155 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Right, i understand

I also agree with you, i think in the ellipsis menu -> more tools, there needs to be the option that you want added which is "pin to start menu", right above the "pin to taskbar"

fdsfds.png

View solution in original post