SOLVED

Pin to desktop

Copper Contributor

I've been using "Pin to desktop" in Canary thinking it was similar to "Pin to taskbar" but it creates an app instead. What I want is the Edge "Pin/Unpin to/from taskbar" but I don't see that option anywhere.

17 Replies

@Bev-Ann thank you so much for this feedback. We have absolutely heard about this as a take-back from our previous version and have "Pin to Taskbar" on our roadmap. 

@johnjansen This is really good news that Pin to Taskbar is planned to come back in the roadmap. Thank you to the team.

@ms4132 Build 76.0.158.0 does have the option to Pin to Taskbar.

@NicolSDThank you for letting me know. I have been tied up all day and just got back to my computer a little while ago. I was I had a new build, but had not yet had a chance to explore.

best response confirmed by Bev-Ann (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@NicolSD Unfortunately, it is not showing up for me in 76.0.158.0. I wonder if it is rolling out in groups again the way translate and spell check did. I had those on some machines, but not others for the same earlier builds.

I assume you are seeing it under More Tools, along with Pin to Desktop.

@ms4132 A few times a week, I go through the reports in this community and check if I can duplicate the bugs. I checked yours this afternoon after I updated to the latest Canary version. I use the More Tools to pin to the taskbar.

@NicolSD Under 'More tools...' I have 'Save page as', 'Pin to desktop', 'Cast media to device', 'Browser task manager', 'Developer tools'.

@Bev-Ann You are right. I used Windows' More menu option and not Edge's More tools option. Sorry about the confusion.

@NicolSD thank you for confirming, I was confused since I was looking at the source code and it's not in there yet :) I was worried we may have a bug in the string or something weird. As I say, we do have this on our roadmap, so keep an eye out for it. 

@Bev-Ann 

Hi Bev,

Yes, it's well known or widely known Pin to task bar is missing.  And the Team is aware of countless people saying it's missing.  I think an effort is being made to have it.  🤞🏻🤞🏻  Hope we see it soon... should have been there from the onset.

And you're right, Pin to desktop is silly.  Edge does not have it & god knows why it's in Edge C (right now)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@NicolSD 

Where, Nicol.  I look straight away every time & I don't see it.  Where are you seeing it, finding it?

Ok, having read more of the thread than what landed in my Inbox... I see I'm not the only one, still, not seeing it.  I :folded_hands: that when I do see it, that dumb Pin to desktop is gone, also.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 wrote:

Hi Bev,

Yes, it's well known or widely known Pin to task bar is missing.  And the Team is aware of countless people saying it's missing.  I think an effort is being made to have it.  🤞🏻🤞🏻  Hope we see it soon... should have been there from the onset.

And you're right, Pin to desktop is silly.  Edge does not have it & god knows why it's in Edge C (right now)

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 Yes, I don't understand why anyone would use it. Not only do they pin to the desktop, but they also pin to the Start menu and even show up in Apps & Features. You have to Uninstall them from Start or open 'Apps > Manage apps' in the Edge menu to get rid of them.

???

@Bev-Ann 

"to get rid of them.", Bev

Get rid of what? "Them" being?? Seems I lost or missed that part...

"Yes, I don't understand why anyone would use it.', Bev
Don't blame you, it's not a place to put things nor to act on things.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 wrote:

"to get rid of them.", Bev

Get rid of what? "Them" being?? Seems I lost or missed that part...

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 When you use 'Pin to desktop' to create a shortcut to a webpage, the same shortcut is also pinned to the Start menu and added to Windows Apps & Features. It's basically being treated like an app, not a shortcut.

To remove the shortcut (ie. get rid of) from Start and Apps & Features, you can't simply delete it from the desktop; you have to either right-click on it in the Start menu and select Uninstall or open Windows Apps & Features and Uninstall it from there.

Try pinning a webpage to the desktop and then open the Start menu and check Windows Apps & Features. You'll see what I'm talking about.

@Bev-Ann 

Yes, which, jibes with my saying earlier that Pin to desktop is silly.  Pin to task bar is what should be there; same as Edge (now).  Pin to desktop doesn't even exist in Edge; no (good) reason for it to be.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Bev-Ann 

Yes, Bev, MANY of us have been saying the same.  Pin to desktop isn't even supposed to be there & how it works is crazy.  We are praying & pleading for Pin to Taskbar, same as you.  We (like to) think the Team has heard us by now :crossed_fingers:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@johnjansen 

Pin to taskbar:

"We have absolutely heard about this and have "Pin to Taskbar" on our roadmap".

YAY:exclamation_mark: :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::bottle_with_popping_cork:

***********************************************

Speaking of Pinning. We know things can be pinned from the Start menu (Rt Clk > More). Thought I'd show the Rt Clk options, including pinning, from the Applications window. Actually, less involved than via Start.

Pin from Apps.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bev-Ann (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@NicolSD Unfortunately, it is not showing up for me in 76.0.158.0. I wonder if it is rolling out in groups again the way translate and spell check did. I had those on some machines, but not others for the same earlier builds.

I assume you are seeing it under More Tools, along with Pin to Desktop.

View solution in original post