Performance issues: low network bandwidth compared to other browsers

Microsoft

Hi,

I'm using the current Edge dev version which is 77.0.235.4 which did not resolve that issue, so here I am.

I noticed Edge dev is a disaster with high speed connections.

I did a test with the competition and here are the results:

Edge chromium: 67 Mbit/s down - 189 Mbit/s up - 44.57ms ping

Firefox: 872 Mbit/s down - 478 Mbit/s up - 2ms ping

Chrome: 519 Mbit/s down - 459 Mbit/s up - 2.35ms ping

Edge: 575 Mbit/s down - 471 Mbit/s up - 1.9ms ping

Of course I've done all tests within the same 2-3 minutes frame, several times, different hours of the day, different days, same test 10 Gbit/s server on my ISP backbone. Always the same results.

Could come from something else than the web browser I guess, but yet Firefox is still 12 times faster and seems to be the only one to be able to cope with my connection. I'm on a 1 Gbit/s fiber (FTTH). Directly connected to the ISP router with an Ethernet cable (cat. 6).

As shown in my screenshot, the website used to test the connection is nperf.com I don't know what technology is used to perform the test but I'm sure you devs know how to find that :)

I noticed other performance issues and it miiiiight have a link I don't know, for example I've got dropped frames on streaming services like mixer.com when I have absolutely not a single dropped frame on other browsers, though you have to check the stats to notice, eyes can't. Not sure the embedded technologies are the same but yet I'm putting this here too.

iu98gerh8k6s.jpg

2 Replies

Hi @Fabien Fontich, this is weird, I am posting the results that I got using nperf.com and also speedtest.net:

nperf.com:

Capture.PNG

Speedtest:

speedtest.PNG

I ran these tests back to back.  I think that there might be something wrong with the nperf.com test on Microsoft Edge.  I will say that I haven't noticed a 10x speed improvement as I switch browsers.

Thanks - Elliot

Right there's obviously something wrong with nperf + Edge Chromium as I'm not the only one to have this problem.

It may be interesting to spot what technology is used for Edge to fix/improve its performance with it. It may be something used in many other websites who knows.

As for speedtest.net I agree it's way better for Edge. All browsers have almost identical results.