PDF functionality in Edge

Copper Contributor

There is no way to highlight text, edit or make new notes. Definitely wanna see those features.

10 Replies

Hi @fahad730 

text highlighting is hidden behind a flag

Enable this flag "Enable Text Highlights for PDF" in edge://flags/

fdsfsd.png

hgfhfghf.png

The rest of your suggestions are missing and need to be implemented

@fahad730 Thanks for the feedback. To confirm before I pass this on to the PDF team: are you simply looking to have the same note functionality that was in the previous version of Edge, or are you looking for a new feature?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

I am looking for the pdf-functionality of legacy edge browser.@Deleted 

all functionality. 

@fahad730 Thanks for the confirmation! I'll make a note of this for the PDF team.

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Thanks.
You're welcome :)

@fahad730 yes highlight text capability is available in Canary and Dev builds by default and behind flag for Beta and Stable. Inking on PDF files is fully available. Please give it a try and let us know your thoughts. 

What about notes?

@fahad730 If you are talking about text notes, yes, that is also planned in the PDF reader roadmap.  

@Deleted 

Hello Fawkes,

in addition to really missed features, where has the good old "open pdf with your standard viewer" functionality from Classic Edge gone? 

I know I can activate the "always open pdf externally" option on content settings, but then the file is only saved to the downloads folder (instead of cache) and I have to open it manually. 

I would love to see the pdf file going to the browser cache instead (like when using the built-in pdf viewer, so I don't have to delete it afterwards from the downloads folder manually) and then open automatically with my standard viewer. 

Is there anything like this planned or, if not, could you please forward this to the developer team? 

Thanks and best regards