PDF files displayed in Edge pixalated

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Since last update on Edge, PDF rendering is pixalated.

Issue happens only with Edge, is there a particular option to deactivate ?

SAPuser2023_0-1674655250293.png

Regards,

Catherine

4 Replies
I have the same problem, but only with large files.

Hello @SAPuser2023,

Thank you for taking the time to report this. I’m hoping to gather some more information to share with our engineers.

Is this a PDF on Share point opened in MS Edge or is the PDF opened directly in Edge?

Do you have an example PDF you're comfortable sharing with us?

Your version number and enabled feature flags. To gather this info, enter edge://version/?show-variations-cmd in the address bar. Take a screenshot of the visible page, don’t worry about capturing all the Active Variations. MS Edge has a built-in capture tool, to open it, click on the ellipsis(…) top right > Select Web capture.

@SAPuser2023 

The PDF feature team is asking if disabling the PDF thumbnail cache will mitigate the issue. The steps on how to do this can be found below. Again, thank you for your help on this, and please let me know if you have any questions about the process.

Page thumbnails can be disabled by using “—disable-features=”msPdfThumbnailCache” while opening Edge.

1. Right click on the Edge shortcut icon.
  2. Click “Properties”.
  3. Go to “Shortcut” tab.
  4. In “Target” section, copy paste “—disable-features=”msPdfThumbnailCache”” at the end.
  5. Click “Apply”.
  6. Close the properties pop-up.
  7. Re-start Edge. (Make sure all the Edge processes have ended from the Task Manager.)

OR

1. Open command prompt. (Search “cmd” in Windows search box)
  2. Navigate to the directory where Edge is present. (run “cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application” in cmd prompt.)
  3. Run “taskkill /im msedge.exe /f” to kill all the Edge processes running currently.

Launch Edge using “msedge.exe –disable-features=”msPdfThumbnailCache”.

Hello @Jeremiah-V,

Thank you for the reply. I will first check if deactivation of PDF thumbnail can resolve this issue.
I will let you know.

Regards,