SOLVED

Passwords not displayed on Edge Dev Linux.

Brass Contributor

Hi, I use Microsoft Edge Dev on Linux latest version (Version 91.0.825.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)) On Debian 11, but I also encountered this problem on Debian 10. When I closed Edge all passwords were cleared and disappeared from the password management menu. But then I noticed that the passwords were still used on known sites, as if they were saved. In fact I found that passwords are still saved on Edge, but they don't show up in settings. I also tried to completely reinstall Edge, but the problem remains. I have already reported the bug, but I wanted to know if you too have encountered a similar problem on Linux or other Linux platforms or distributions. Thanks for the replies

10 Replies
best response confirmed by TommyDordo (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
one a side note, you can Microsoft Autofill extension to keep your passwords safe and synced on the cloud on Edge Linux. maybe it will even reveal your saved passwords too.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/how-to-view-and-manage-your-microsoft-passwords-o...
Hi, thanks for the reply. I was not familiar with this extension and tried it. it is very useful especially because it allows me to synchronize passwords even though on Edge Linux the synchronization is not yet active. But sadly the Edge passwords are not displayed in the extension. So I tried to export the locally saved password and then import it into the extension, but no password is saved in the downloaded file. The passwords saved on Edge are therefore completely invisible and I cannot view them in any way, however they are still saved and I can use them on the sites. Hope the Edge team can fix this soon.
This extension are supposed to be for other chromium based browsers only.
The functionality is already built into Edge.
I recently installed Edge in Ubuntu on a new pc, and sadly there is a bug so no new passwords are saved and password import does not work.
It still works on my old pc.
I know but when Edge linux didn't have sync, it was the 2nd best option.
for your password issue you can submit feedback using the feedback button on Edge.

@HotCakeX Yes, I have submitted a feedback comment.
Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Yup, hopefully

@TommyDordo "When I closed Edge all passwords were cleared and disappeared from the password management menu. But then I noticed that the passwords were still used on known sites, as if they were saved. In fact I found that passwords are still saved on Edge, but they don't show up in settings."

The issue is persistent.  Microsoft has not resolved it.  The problem, in my case, is getting worse rather than better -- last week I started getting instances of synced passwords seeming to autofill, but the ID/PW credentials being rejected by the host.  The issue occurs only with Edge-Linux; the same synced ID/PW credentials are accepted from Edge-Win10 and Edge iOS devices.  That suggests that Edge-Linux is now screwed up to the point where it doesn't package ID/PW credentials in an industry-standard way.

Microsoft Autofill extension is a workaround, at best, not a solution.  Microsoft Autofill was designed to allow users of other Chromium-based browsers to sync with stored passwords.  How is that an acceptable solution for Edge itself?

Edge-Linux is undoubtedly a step-child, developed primarily for public relations purposes.  The incredibly slow development pace (9 months in Beta and counting?) gives witness to that fact.  I accept that.  But step-child or not, Edge-Linux should perform basic functions without kludges like adopting a workaround technology designed for other browsers.

The issue is one of many I've encountered running Edge-Linux Beta over the last 9 months.  While I use Solus 4.3 Budgie as my Linux driver, I test Edge-Linux using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, a distro directly supported by Microsoft.  I report the issues as I find them.  Dead silence is the response.

Microsoft needs to either (a) bring Edge-Linux up to working standard, on par with Edge on other platforms, or (b) abandon the Edge-Linux project.   I've pushed for Edge-Linux development since April 2019, but I'm rapidly becoming indifferent.

Hi, you're right, the problem is still there. I am using the latest version of Microsoft Edge dev on Linux and besides, there are many other problems. Sometimes when I submit feedback I get a response telling me that they are working on my problem. Unfortunately now the only solution is to use the official extension, but it is uncomfortable.
I'm using Beta and there the stored credentials:
1. don't display (edge://settings/passwords = empty)
2. don't get accepted by the sites I stored passwords for (tested the same credentials in Firefox)
this both for the .rpm and the .deb packages
so not even close to ready for having it as an Enterprise wide solution covering multiple platforms

@Dobbe fixed in Beta now

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TommyDordo (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi,
one a side note, you can Microsoft Autofill extension to keep your passwords safe and synced on the cloud on Edge Linux. maybe it will even reveal your saved passwords too.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/how-to-view-and-manage-your-microsoft-passwords-o...

View solution in original post