Password lock for edge

Copper Contributor

Now a days a web browser contains a lot of information about you starting from basic data to browsing habits, access to social media sites, email, eCommerce sites, access to web version of apps and services (Utility, Financial,games, video streaming sites, online portals etc.) 

Everything is available at one place without any protection except desktop password. There are some occasions when we have to share desktop password with other people in house or companies. Which will in turn give access to our browser date also.

As aprivacy focused browser, It would be better if there is pin lock facility available for locking edge browser which can lock access to entire browser. 

1 Reply

Hi,
" There are some occasions when we have to share desktop password with other people in house or companies."
that's true, at home sometimes I let my sister use my PC for quick browsing and stuff so I just created a 2nd non-administrator account on my Windows 10 (offline/local account without password) so she can log in and use the browser. I installed Google chrome for her since Edge canary which I use myself can't be available to all users.
I did this because even if Edge would allow me to lock my profile, it would still be too much compromise to let someone else use my computer because my web browser doesn't even contain 1% of the sensitive data. there are far more important data a computer can have, that's why it's always better to setup a guest or non-admin account for others instead of just handing over your password to them.
in a company, your computer will be usually controlled by a system administrator so they already have access to your device, however in Edge or Google chrome, your saved passwords are protected by either your PIN or Windows passwords.

for more privacy in work area, set Edge to delete history and cookies when you exit the browser.

you could also use LastPass or similar extensions to save your passwords securely in cloud so your system administrator won't be able to see them even if they have access to your device.