Password Generator is finally working!

Bronze Contributor

Hey team,

The Password Generator test has been extended to more websites now! In Canary build 89.0.726.0, I was able to get the Password Generator working on a lot of websites now, though not all. 

This is the feature in action:

Password Generator Snip 1Password Generator Snip 1

Password Generator Snip 2Password Generator Snip 2

Password Generator Snip 3Password Generator Snip 3

In my test, I was not able to get the Generator popup on Reddit and Strava, so I think it is not available on all websites yet. 

The team just needs to expand this to every website, and it will be a solid move for people generating strong passwords and forgetting about remembering it since Edge will save the passwords!

18 Replies
I'm trying it on 2 popular platforms, Facebook and Discord, I'm not seeing any secure password suggestion..
it's not in inPrivate mode

@HotCakeX I see, haven't tried yet on Discord. On Facebook, it is enabled earlier. Maybe the test is changed now.

Yeah it's far from working, I don't know whey they even have a list of websites, why not just use this feature on any field that has <input type="password">
that's the only time when this will actually work.

it also shouldn't care whether password sync is on or off.

@HotCakeX agree. It should not be limited just to users that have sync enabled.

@HotCakeX True! But I don't think the coding programs that teach, like Khan Academy, it won't work on that.

@Rohit Yadav 

Thank you for sharing, in case it doesn't work in other websites make sure report those websites through feedback option in Microsoft Edge.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived Thanks for the reply. I have shared the feedback with the team. :smile:

@Rohit Yadav 

Great, they will be able to investigate and resolve the issue.

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@HotCakeXTrue! But I don't think the coding programs that teach, like Khan Academy, it won't work on that.

What.. that has nothing to do with that.

@Reza_Ameri-Archived 

@Reza_Ameri-Archived wrote:

@Rohit Yadav 

Thank you for sharing, in case it doesn't work in other websites make sure report those websites through feedback option in Microsoft Edge.

I don't think so. I don't think Edge team want people to flood their system with websites that have problem with password generator.

because that means everyone can send millions of feedbacks about the same thing, that is obvious. like I said it should detect input password types and not rely on any list whatsoever. 

@HotCakeX I meant, the HTML websites that my son coded, it won't work on that. But I wish it would.

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@HotCakeXI meant, the HTML websites that my son coded, it won't work on that. But I wish it would.

I'm not sure how what you are saying is related to my reply. but like I said Edge secure password generator doesn't work on all input fields that have type password, and that's the problem.

@HotCakeX Yes it is :(
Yup, and Edge developers should be aware of this since it's obvious and has problem on popular websites, so don't think if i send them 1000 feedbacks about 1000 websites that this thing doesn't work on, will be any helpful. even then, there will be millions other websites that still are left out.

Still experiencing this issue as of 12-03-2021, had to look though forums to find a valid site, just to see if it actually worked at all. I found trying on Facebook/Amazon failed, but Zoom.us worked. again, it only added a Password to first input field, and not giving a Copy/Paste option to add to the second confirm password field. How is this implementation still this broken ?
What I said 3 months ago about an older version of Edge is no longer true right now.
both of the problems you are describing is Solved in insider channels and will soon roll out to the stable channel.

clicking/tapping on the password field shows you the hidden password to copy it
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/new-improvement-on-strong-password-suggestion-fea...
@HotCakeX I forgot to mention I was talking about stable channel :)
Just a privacy note hope you are not using these passwords as you post them in the public forum and visible to everyone.